We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ballet in St. Petersburg

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ballet in St. Petersburg

Has anyone been to the ballet? If so, is it of good quality?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

Hi Helvetiana,

>>advice for other performances?

do you mean more ballet? If yes, then I'm afraid your best bet is Mikhailovsky and Mariinsky. The later one will post playbill for May in the beginning of April, so keep on checking out its web-site.

So far there's a "Swan lake" scheduled on May 26 at Konservatory theater but I don't think you could catch that evening show, could you? Besides, it's much less known dance group.

If you're interested in classical music concerts you can visit Philharmonic hall www.philharmonia.spb.ru/eng/zkrang.html

if you're into opera then besides Mariinsky and Mikhailovsky (numbers one) there's a much smaller but still good opera theater called "St.Petersburg opera theater" http://www.spbopera.ru/en/playbill The theater is very small and is in one of the beautiful mansions decorated rococo style

Overall, not much advertised for the end of May yet. It's probably better to get back to this question in mid-April.

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

This is a great topic in Trip Advisor, just what I needed!

I am going to SP in Apr 25th-28th and according to balletandopera.com I have the following options for classical ballet:

- "La Sylphide" in Mikhailovsky (www.mikhailovsky.ru/en/afisha/detail/236135/)

- "Swan Lake" in Hermitage

- "Giselle" in Hermitage

I have seen in other topics that Mikhailovsky performances are better, but I dont know "La Sylphide". Should I see it instead of the famous Swan Lake and Giselle?

If I choose Hermitage, should I buy the tickets in SP? Their website only sell tickets for April 2nd performance.

Thanks in advance!

Camila

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

Hello Camila,

>>but I dont know "La Sylphide". Should I see it instead of the famous Swan Lake and Giselle?

to get familiar with "La Sylphide" you can try to google it, to youtube it etc. I don't know what your experience with ballet-art is but if I were not a big fan/didn't know much I'd rather attend "La Sylphide" at Mikhailovsky than those two performed by touristy dancing companies at less impressive theaters. "La Sylphide" may be a bit less known but also very classy and romantic and tender. If you think it would be "difficult" to understand because it's less known, here's a hint - read libretto before you go (as one should do with any opera or ballet to indeed appreciate it, I think).

(on a side. Yes, there are some too-very-modern interpretations of ballet\opera even at Mariinsky theater that I wouldn't advise to go unless a person is deep into ballet\opera. In this case I would advise to rather see SwanLake/Giselle with touristy dance companies. However, to me it's not the case with La Sylphide.)

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

Svetakoshka,

Thank you very much! I will definitely go to Mikhailovsky theater.

Camila

Montreal, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
45. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

Hello,

This site has been very helpful. I am so disappointed as I will be in SP August 13 and both the Marinsky and Mikhailovsky are closed for the summer. How can I find out what company is performing at the other theatres? I see there is Swan Lake, Giselle and the Nutcracker being performed on that date. Would prefer not to see Nutcracker.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Nancy

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

Nancy,

>>August 13.... How can I find out what company is performing at the other theatres?

some info might already be available at www.kassir.ru (eng), www.bileter.ru (rus only). But still it's too early for the August to say for sure. See also post 3 tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298507-i707-k6567…

Montreal, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
47. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

Thank you so much Svetakoshka. Much appreciated!

I will check these and wait until booking.

Nancy

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,873 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

I have seen Swan Lake in London, Melbourne (many times, including on ice! even the Borovansky), and as an option on my tour last month, I went to see Swan Lake at The Hermitage. While my tour called it "world class", that was a huge exageration. The theatre is tiny, so is the stage. I kept wondering when someone was going to keep going and end up in the audience. It is aimed at tourists and on my night, there was a large group of Chinese who obviously hadn't been told by their guide how to behave. They laughed, talked, wandered around and were a serious nuisance. On the plus side, the four swans were in absolute sync and the orchestra was really good - world class, no. But, hey I saw Swan Lake in Russia.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

Hi,

We are in SP on the 11th July and can attend Swan Lake in Alexandrinski - where is it best to get tickets, and transport, as we are on a cruise?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Ballet in St. Petersburg

Hi, WE are on a cruise and have booked a two day tour with a SP tour company, we would like to see Swan Lake at Alexandrinski Theatre - can we do this independently, visa covers the times? Thinking about travel from ship and taxi? Or are we safer to buy from the travel company