We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel suggestion??

st. louis, misouri
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel suggestion??

What is your favorite upscale hotel in St. Petersburg. We will be there for four nights in late May early June. Thanks so much

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel suggestion??

If you want upper scale of up scale, the universal answer is Grand Hotel Europe. I've stayed there several times over many years before moving here and it has consistently set the mark. The Hotel Astoria is also really nice and with top of the line staff and attention to detail. Both are class acts. A small "big" hotel to consider also is the Moika 22, a new reproduction style 19th century building with the best location for the Hermitage, directly across a small bridge from the Winter Palace. The company who build it used to own the Europe Hotel (Kempensky Hotels)and sold it to allow constructing this new one. The rooms to the front have the best views in the city of the Palace Embankment area. Restaurant and services are not in the same class as the Europe however. I've had friends stay there and they fell in love with the small luxury hotel feel and location.

I went to a party presented by Astoria last night on a very icy Stone Island, a winter fantasy theme more modern and trendy than the hotel image but it was just as well done as their mainstay more conservative hotel programs.

There are others with good service, Nevskj Palace Hotel, SAS Radison, Grand Hotel Emerald, and several others but all including these are a full step below the two above. The Palace is starting a new major renovation that will over double its size and add features such that it intends to compete directly with the Europe Hotel. There is a new one called the Ambassador that looks really good, a solid 4 star. All the major international chains are opening properties here in the next year or so.