We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Petersburg to Novgorod

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
61 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
St. Petersburg to Novgorod

How much would a car or more likely a mini-van be to take us (a group of 5, 3 adults and 2 small children) from St. Petersburg to Novgorod. The train seems to leave late and we want to go early, spend the day, and leave on the night train for Moscow. Keep in mind, we want a car just to take us and drop us, no tours or anything

Thanks

Alla Tours
Sightseeing Tours
SPB Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
TJ Travel
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Insider Tour
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
moscow
Level Contributor
518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Petersburg to Novgorod

There are two trains to Novgorod from StP, they both leave at about 8.00 a.m. You arrive at about afternoon.

There are also buses (the schedule is below), the earliest arrives at 11.00 a.m.

StP-Novgorod 7.30, 10.35, 11.00 (ex. Sun), 12.05, 13.00, 15.30, 16.00, 16.30, 19.10, 19.50, 20.35, 21.00 (Sun), 21.30 The trip takes 3 h 30 min.

I called one taxi company, their estimate for mini-van was max. RUR 7500 (ab.USD 265).

Have you thought about going to Novgorod the night before? (e.g. by bus). There is a nice hotel (Beresta Palace), modern, clean, and kids won't have to wake up early. (they have their own site www.berestapalace.com, in case you are curious).

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
61 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Petersburg to Novgorod

We did think of staying in Novgorod, but we would really lose two nights then, one evening traveling to Novgorod and then one night on the train to Moscow. I thought if we were to leave early from St. Petersburg, that would still give us most of the day in Novgorod to see the Kremlin and the town before heading to Moscow. Plus, with five travelig and two of them small children, I really didn't want to have to unpack and repack an extra time.

moscow
Level Contributor
518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Petersburg to Novgorod

Yes, packing is really a problem. The company I called was "Evrotaxi", their phone is +7(812) 7401313, however, there must be a lot of other taxi services.

If you plan to have lunch in Novgorod, the only really traditional place to go is Detinets restaurant (inside the Kremlin). We tried some other places, recommended by guide, this one was definitely beyond competition. It's always better to book in advance. Otherwise you risk to have no table, since they take groups and may be full. Their phone is +7(816 2) 77-46-24.

Have a nice trip

North Carolina
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Petersburg to Novgorod

My guide in St. Petersburg has relationhips with a driver with car and one with a van. They were very nice gentlemen and I believe you can engage a van for your group for about $30 to $35 per hour. It takes about 3 hours to go to Novogorod and, of course, you would have to pay for the van to return.

So about $180 to $200.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Petersburg to Novgorod

If the price sounds intereesting post a request and I will give you the guide's email. Good Luck.

If you are not returning to St. Petersburg, I would suggest taking the early bus. I did that. It is comfortable and inexpensive. about $15 one way.

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Petersburg to Novgorod

You are better off taking the bus. It is more comfortable, cheap and safer. When using the services of "casuals" or friends of friends in Russia there is an excelent chance they have no insurance, are not licensed for paying customers which makes a big difference if there is an accident....surprisingly high chance of that, and you are not covered. If you insist on hiring a car or van, get it from an established transport company, and you'll find it might be cheaper than the casuals. $35/hour is high for a small van.

I've eaten in the restaurant memtioned above and I liked it but be forewarned that they have contracts with bus tour companies so during the season they will be swamped with one bus load after another. There are not many choices there.