We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entering St. Petersburg By Boat?

Boston...
6 posts
Save Topic
Entering St. Petersburg By Boat?

Hello! My partner and I are planning a trip to St. Petersburg during the White Nights of 2008. Considering that Peter the Great stuck a shovel in the delta of the River Neva on May 16, 1703 to build a new capital and a powerful Russian Navy, I'd love to enter this magnificent city for the first time by boat - and I'm not talking about a cruise ship. Any alternatives? Departing from where?

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entering St. Petersburg By Boat?

Hello Arkady

The most common entry by boat is river boat. The cruise from Moscow is very popular with large comfortable river boats making the journey with daily stops in rural towns and historic villiages takes about 8-10 days depending on the itinerary. If that is too much time out of your vacation time, keep checking for the re-introduction of Baltic region ferry service that is expected this next summer. The ferries were overnight voyages from Helsinki and were on comfortable cruise ship style ships. The service was purchased another ferry company which moved the ships to other Baltic routes.

We have all been waiting for another ferry operator to restart the old route and one has been given a license for next year.

Boston...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Entering St. Petersburg By Boat?

Stanj - You've been very helpful and have given me something new to think about - thank you! I hope you'll except my invitation to be a part of my network. I'll take some time in the near future to read through the seemingly endless posts of yours regarding travel to St. Petersburg. Thanks again!

3. Re: Entering St. Petersburg By Boat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, September 12, 2009