We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can one buy classical and jazz CDs and LPs?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Where can one buy classical and jazz CDs and LPs?

I'm an avid collector of classical, jazz, and ethnic music on CD and LP. Where are the best places to shop for these types of CDs and LPs in St. Petersburg? Is it common to find used (or even new) LPs in any shops (I'm especially looking for recordings of David Oistrakh, Vladimir Sofronitsky, Sviataslav Richter, Kiril Kondrashin, Boris Christoff, etc.)?

I've read that CDs and DVDs are very cheap in Russia and that many are pirated / illegal copies. Books often warn about bringing illegal DVDs back into one's home country but never say anything about CDs. Is there a possible problem with buying CDs in Russia? Is there a way to tell which are legal copies?

Thanks for your advice!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
336 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can one buy classical and jazz CDs and LPs?

I wont give you advice of if you should or not should bring illeagal copies back from Russia, but the problem is not the recordings. It is your recorder, which can be blocked or locked for recordings from other "regions" than your own. For people knowing how to unlock the recorder it is often quite easy how to do it. I do not know if this is illeagal in your country, but if you search the net you will find information how to do it.

In Russia there are sometimes DVD's of a film earlier on the loacal market places than they run them in the cinema (!).

Some monts ago I bought DVD's and CD's in the big market near metro station Udelnaja (Удельная) for 70 RUB each. In the shops, which you cannot miss they are everywhere, they are slightly more. CD's and DVD's are also to find in the small kiosks in metro stations or in the underground walkways. Russians buy many "small goods" things in these kind of kiosks. Many times I find it hard to tell if a CD or DVD is leagal or illeagal. Sometimes it is obvious of course, e.g. when four Hollywood films are put together on the same disc...

Most of the (illeagal?) CD's and DVD's are anyhow "all regions" playable.

All your listed recordings should be easy to find. What is good in Russia, is that they keep a good sortiment of older CD and DVD recordings. I have bought many classical Russian films that way.

Used LP's is beyond my knowledge.

2. Re: Where can one buy classical and jazz CDs and LPs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, September 01, 2009