We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Petersburg to cruise ship

Dalton-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
St Petersburg to cruise ship

Reading the messages it can take a long time in a taxi to get back to the port. Is it easier to walk back?

7 replies to this topic
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Petersburg to cruise ship

>>it can take a long time in a taxi to get back to the port.

depends on a few things: from where? when (tourist season or off season)? what time of a day? do you mean Marine Facade port?

>>Is it easier to walk back?

from where?

Wirral, England
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Petersburg to cruise ship

I see you are from the UK and, if so, do you mean the cruise port?. If so, do you realise that to go ashore independently in Russia from a cruise ship will need a Russian visa? That will cost about £130 each a lot of paperwork (will take a long time to search out the details required) as well as a visit to London, Manchester of Edinburgh to have your fingerprints taken. Visas take a while to process as well - not an instantaneous thing.

If you go on an organised trip by the cruise ship, or a trip organised by a Russian company, you will have that sorted for you for the duration of the trip only. Will be transported to/from the port as well.

Mentioned in this post
Russia
Russia
Europe
London
London
England, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Dalton-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Petersburg to cruise ship

We are on a tour that finishes at lunch time so can we walk back to the cruise port

Wirral, England
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Petersburg to cruise ship

Might be a good idea to check that with your tour provider. I have seen a lot of posts on a well known cruise forum and they state that the tour guides have to take people back to the terminal, or the tour guides would get into lots of trouble for not doing so. At no time have I seen an option of cruise passengers just being able to amble back to their ship when they wanted to go back.

Would be a very appealing option to lots of cruise passengers though if it were available, so I am sure it would be well publicised if it were an option.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Petersburg to cruise ship

We have opted for getting our own visas for when we visit St. Petersburg by cruise ship in August. With a bit of research it was relatively easy. We completed the application online and then went to Manchester where the staff were really helpful. The visas are expensive but the money spent is easily saved by not having organised tours (this is what we wanted to avoid) - for example our cruiseline wanted £350 just for Hermitage and Spilled Blood Cathedral which will cost us £12 on our own (plus travel into the city). No brainer! We're looking forward to going on the Metro too - something you probably don't get to do on an organised tour.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Wirral, England
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Petersburg to cruise ship

We totally agree Boltonhead. We needed our own visa for a river cruise with hotel stays each end in early May, so we have done the ground work regards getting the info together for the application. Be aware that you should keep a copy of the details you used for the application, because any conflict on a subsequent application can cause problems apparently.

Thinking that if we return on a cruise ship, we may also stay in a hotel overnight to prevent having to/from the port unnecessarily. Many people get a cruise ship which docks in St Petersberg and have no idea of the restrictions. I get the feeling the OP on this thread is one of them.

Can I ask you a question. One thing we were thinking about getting a visa for a cruise ship stop is can you get one that allows double entry, so you can go back to the ship and go ashore again the next day? That is the one thing we do not know, as from what I have read it seems you enter Russia as you leave the ship and go back out when you return to the ship, so need to re enter Russia the next day if you sleep on the ship. An overnight hotel does have an appeal to us though as one of the things we still want to do is St Petersberg at night when the bridges are up. We have done a ballet performance and a fair bit of walking around near our hotel at night (Nevsky Prospect).

There are trips that go onto the metro and our included walking tour from our hotel in St Petersberg went onto the metro. Metros are fine though and the stations can be very ornate - so take a bit of time to look around. We had an included trip just to a number of metro stations in Moscow, which were impressive. Best to just get tickets as you get to the station, there are always counters where you can buy single tickets, which cover you for the time you are in the metro system - you can change trains without coming up out of the station. The tickets cost less than 50 roubles each in St Petersberg, so we had a 100 rouble note in a pocket to cover both of us, which meant we did not need to be seen getting a purse/wallet out, which did not seem a good idea. There are ticket machines, but they did not look so easy. All tour guides warned against pick pockets especially in the tourist areas and from a ship you would need to have your passport with you (as you have to go through passport control going off/on the ship, so it needs to be well secured (and hidden). My husband had learned the Russian alphabet, which was a great advantage when recognizing station name etc. Though SPB was much better than Moscow as there was some English as well.

I am sure you will have a great time, enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Russia
Russia
Europe
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
SPB Tours
SPB Tours
4,398 Reviews
St. Petersburg, Russia
St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Petersburg to cruise ship

If on a cruise ship, not a river cruise, visa free entry requires an organized tour but there is some confusion as to what an organized tour is. It is any tour created by a registered tour operator who is recognized by the passenger port. The tour can be anything desired from a walking tour to just shopping or any activity you want. The key is registered tour operator. .Most will create any tour you wish. It can even save a lot by not using a private car or van plus driver, as there is public transportation from the port, bus 158. Rules have changes this year to increase security so only two taxi companies are allowed to move from the city side of security to the ship side, one company handles terminal 1 and 2 and the other goes to terminal 3 and 4. Tour operators who have port privileges can return to the ship directly. The exclusive nature of the taxi permits means they will be much higher priced than normal city taxi.

Having a tour designed around your interests means you will have a licensed guide who knows much more than any guide book about the areas of interest. So whether to go on your own or having a professional guide is up to you but I am sure you will get a lot more out of it and see and experience far more with the services of a guide than winging it. 92% of port calls are 2 days so seeing as much of St Petersburg as possible in those two days is going to require the assistance of a tour company.

Mentioned in this post
St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg
Northwestern District, Russia
Reply to: St Petersburg to cruise ship
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted