We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much spending money should be taken

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australian Capital...
7 posts
Save Topic
how much spending money should be taken

i am 18years old and looking into travelling to Russia in december. I will be attending a 4 week language course and then an 8 week internship. just wondering how much spending money or extra money I will need for being there for 14 weeks

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,076 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much spending money should be taken

First, Russia is large: in a small provincial town you can comfortably live a month on the money Moscow will suck out of you in less than a week.

Second, do you include accommodation costs in your expenses? If yes then what kind of accommodation? Some are happy to share a dorm with 14 strangers, others feel miserable unless they get a presidential suite with a personal 24h butler.

Third, taking a wad of cash with you is not a very good idea for a variety of reasons. Consider taking a credit card and an ATM card.

Edited: 1:10 am, July 09, 2014
Australian Capital...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: how much spending money should be taken

hi,, I have a shared unit with others taking the same language course, and will be in Moscow for the 14 weeks. the internship is unpaid making it harder to decide how much money I need to take with me on an ATM card

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,076 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how much spending money should be taken

> the internship is unpaid making it harder to decide how much money I need to take with me on an ATM card

You'll be surprised but it's even harder for us to decide how much money you might need. What I would do is NOT put all your trip budget to an ATM card at once but either ask your family to fill up your card account as needed or better still use internet banking to manage your cards/accounts online.

Edited: 2:11 am, July 09, 2014
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
518 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: how much spending money should be taken

It may work the other way - disclose your budget and give some hints on the lifestyle you envision (cooking vs restaurants, night life vs library, hiking vs museums etc.) and you'll get rough estimates if it's enough.

Australian Capital...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: how much spending money should be taken

oh great idea.

I want to experience Russian cuisine but that would most likely only be on weekends

I would like to visit most if not all the Moscow attractions (the red square, st basils and so on)

a night out every few weekends maybe just to see how different it is from home

my shopping will mainly be for essentials and maybe a few items here and there

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
518 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: how much spending money should be taken

My lowest estimate would be one thousand rubles per day above accomodation and tuition. How much would Canberra cost in this case?

Australian Capital...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: how much spending money should be taken

In Canberra if it was a day where I bought everything.

A cup of coffee would be $3 AUD

Then lunch $20AUD

and dinner would average around $30-$50AUD

As I don't plan of eating out every night and can live without a coffee everyday in Russia haha that could save me a few rubles.

For a weeks of grocery shopping is about $150AUD

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,957 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how much spending money should be taken

As for eating options, aside from "cooking" at home, check out the list of reasonably priced dining under Top Questions. I find if I don't go crazy with desserts and drinks, I can get by with a pretty filling meal for $10-15 at several places. I typically do not order beverages even at home in restaurant to save money...

For sure, coffee can be a wee bit of an expensive habit as in any large city!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,076 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how much spending money should be taken

A "business lunch" i.e. a set lunch menu in a midrange Moscow restaurant usualy costs no more than 300-400 rubles, often less, and that's what a typical Moscow clerk or student (unless his/her father owns a couple of factories or shopping malls, of course) eats for lunch every day. If there's a canteen at your school then it's even cheaper, so you are likely to save on lunch compared to Canberra. An average dinner is going to cost about the same as in Canberra but locals don't usually eat out every night as opposed to tourists. Public transportation in Moscow and St.Pete is effective and one of the cheapest in the world (if we don't compare to Bangladesh or Zimbabwe).

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
518 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: how much spending money should be taken

>> coffee can be a wee bit of an expensive habit

A moderate investment in a kettle, a grinder and a french press may alleviate this burden.