We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long transit through Sheremetyevo aiport

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Long transit through Sheremetyevo aiport

We (group of 3 Indians) will be transiting through Sheremetyevo airport enroute to Europe. The layover period is over 19 hours - arriving about 9pm with connection the next day 4pm. We opted for the long layover with the intention of making a quick dash into the city early morning to take in the important sights (Red Square, Kremlin walls) before returning to the airport in time for the connection flight. Subject to the Schengen visa getting issued quickly, we will be applying for a Russian Transit visa before departure. But in the meanwhile, we have some questions:

1. Is there facility to obtain Transit visa on arrival at the airport?

2. In the event we are unable to get Transit Visa, is such a long layover doable in Sheremetyevo? (facilities in the transit lounge, etc)

3. Assuming we get the Transit visa, what are our best options in terms overnight stay - near the airport or in the city? Any particular recommendations?

4. Within the available time, what are the doable sights and the best options to reach them?

5. Any good vegetarian joints close to the sights (Indian cuisine would be great)?

Thanks in advance.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long transit through Sheremetyevo aiport

All my flights land and take-ff from Terminal E. The lay-over that I have (19 hours) is available by default through online booking at the airlines booking site. However, if I use 'multiple destinations' option and chose connections on my own, I am free to chose another connection which is still less than 24 hours from arrival in Moscow but will provide additional 3-4 hours time in Moscow. Notably, this option does not mention 'Connecting Flight' for the Vienna flight (whereas it does so where the connection is offered by default by the booking engine). So am not sure whether they will book me straight to Vienna from the place of initial boarding. Also, the question remains whether Moscow Immigration will accept this arrangement for the purpose of Transit Visa.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,155 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Long transit through Sheremetyevo aiport

<Moscow Immigration will accept this arrangement for the purpose of Transit Visa.>

<Is there facility to obtain Transit visa on arrival at the airport?>

You can not get a Russian transit visa at the airport. You need to submit your visa application to the Russian consulate.

<In the event we are unable to get Transit Visa, is such a long layover doable in Sheremetyevo? (facilities in the transit lounge, etc)>

Yes, there is a "transit clean zone" in SVO's Novotel hotel for transit passengers without visa, which is actually locate outside the airport (you can not exit the hotel, though). There is also “V Express” in the transit zone of Terminal E (if you decide to book a room in these one, make sure you book the right one, as there is another V-Express in the Aeroexpress terminal outside the transit zone).

<Assuming we get the Transit visa, what are our best options in terms overnight stay - near the airport or in the city?

If you get a visa, I would stay in the city: more lodging options and you will not need to spend time in the morning to travel from the airport to the city.

Edited: 1:56 am, September 23, 2013
Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long transit through Sheremetyevo aiport

Thanks Vlad1969.

>> whether Moscow Immigration will accept this arrangement for the purpose of Transit Visa>>

What I meant was whether Moscow Immigration will accept the ticket which does not mention 'connecting flight' for the purpose of Transit Visa, which anyway I will try to obtain before departure

I concur with you that proceeding straight to the city after arrival is the sensible option since it would save time for next day.

At the other extreme, what are the prospects for spending the entire period in the transit lounge itself? Are there sufficient comfortable chairs for spending the entire night?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,847 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long transit through Sheremetyevo aiport

> What I meant was whether Moscow Immigration will accept the ticket which does not mention 'connecting flight' for the purpose of Transit Visa

I still don't understand. Your onward ticket is not a replacement for a transit visa. If you stay within the airport, you don't even come into any contact with the immigration. If you want to exit then you need a visa, no one would care about your onward tickets. On the contrary, the airline staff in the airport you're departing to Moscow from will be very much interested to see your onward tickets, because with no visa and no onward tickets no one will even let you board a Russia-bound flight.

> what are the prospects for spending the entire period in the transit lounge itself? Are there sufficient comfortable chairs for spending the entire night?

Discover http://www.sleepinginairports.net/

Edited: 5:32 am, September 23, 2013
Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long transit through Sheremetyevo aiport

Thanks Marassa. What I was trying to high light was this: When you book online from A to C, the booking engine by default provides certain connections through B. However, if you opt to book A to B and B to C (multiple destinations), you will get to chose all available combinations. The question was, if you are not checked-in for the full journey right at initial departure, whether it would be possible to check-in for the connecting flight from within the transit zone. I checked with Aeroflot and they confirm there is no issue as long as all connections are clearly confirmed. Even if a through boarding pass is not issued at initial departure, it is possible for a boarding pass to be issued for the second part of the journey from within the Transit zone.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,612 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long transit through Sheremetyevo aiport

Or you can check in online?

BTW Moscow-Vienna is a popular destinations so there's got to bet better connections not involving a 19 hr layover

Banbury
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Long transit through Sheremetyevo aiport

<< We opted for the long layover with the intention of making a quick dash into the city>>

I think you'll find they're looking for a long connection so they can include a visit to Moscow.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long transit through Sheremetyevo aiport

Thanks for all the responses so far. I have some specific questions which I think, I will post on separate threads.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long transit through Sheremetyevo aiport

Hi sraghavan,

I having same issue with you that will have long overlay in SVO but having problem to obtain Visa, have you got transit visa in Moscow? I travel to Vienna stop over in Moscow on 11th Oct at 21:10 and my next flight on 12th Oct at 20:20, what is your plan and would you mind share some info with me? I travel with my with wife and 2 kids...

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long transit through Sheremetyevo aiport

You don't need visa to transit through Sheremetyevo since your flt is within 24 hrs. However, if you would like to visit Moscow city in the short time, then you need to obtain a transit visa from Russian Embassy in AD or Consulate in Dubai. Check here http://www.uae.mid.ru/ind_en.html or here http://ruconsdubai.ae/. The visa takes 7 working days , so I am not sure whether you would be able to make it. However, there is an 'urgent' option which costs double and will be delivered within 3 working days. Good luck ..