We (group of 3 Indians) will be transiting through Sheremetyevo airport enroute to Europe. The layover period is over 19 hours - arriving about 9pm with connection the next day 4pm. We opted for the long layover with the intention of making a quick dash into the city early morning to take in the important sights (Red Square, Kremlin walls) before returning to the airport in time for the connection flight. Subject to the Schengen visa getting issued quickly, we will be applying for a Russian Transit visa before departure. But in the meanwhile, we have some questions:
1. Is there facility to obtain Transit visa on arrival at the airport?
2. In the event we are unable to get Transit Visa, is such a long layover doable in Sheremetyevo? (facilities in the transit lounge, etc)
3. Assuming we get the Transit visa, what are our best options in terms overnight stay - near the airport or in the city? Any particular recommendations?
4. Within the available time, what are the doable sights and the best options to reach them?
5. Any good vegetarian joints close to the sights (Indian cuisine would be great)?
Thanks in advance.