We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any quick tips on essentials - 10 days till we travel!

glasgow
Level Contributor
133 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Any quick tips on essentials - 10 days till we travel!

Hi There,

We travel to Moscow in 10 days time and I think I'm sorted.

Visas

I have printed Metro maps (Moscow & St Petersburg)

Taxi via our apartments to Moscow

Train tickets to St Petersburg and back to Moscow

have learned some basic Russian words, including numbers

Researched and did a basic list of what we want to see

Some Roubles and a bank card that will work in Russia

A Russian language app that works without wifi/3g

A Moscow greeter booked for 2nd day we arrive

Is there anything else that I could do before we travel to make things easier?

I was thinking of printing some things in Russian (metro tickets requests, platform requests?) Would this be a good idea?

What have I missed?

Can't wait to go now!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Any quick tips on essentials - 10 days till we travel!

katrb,

I was in Moscow for the first time two weeks ago and like you thought I was well organised but that all goes out the window when you arrive. Yes it is good to recognise the metro station signs but I was surprised how easy it was., only got lost once, but all was good.

Hope you enjoy it. :)

Edited: 6:58 pm, August 18, 2013
New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any quick tips on essentials - 10 days till we travel!

An offline map app for finding your way around

Moscow
Level Contributor
865 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any quick tips on essentials - 10 days till we travel!

Moscow is not as alien (language-wise) as it is sometimes perceived to be. Don't be afraid to ask people for directions in particular younger people who may be more likely to speak at least some English.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
316 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any quick tips on essentials - 10 days till we travel!

Katrb you are very organised! We will be in Moscow on Friday, our first visit.I have organised a transfer via our hotel to make things easy on arrival, at least until we get used to the Russian alphabet, didn't think about making copies of the signs. Good idea! I plan on getting Roubles from an ATM as I find that easier than taking cash. Which Russian language app will you use as I am looking for one for my phone?

London, United...
Level Contributor
407 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any quick tips on essentials - 10 days till we travel!

make sure you have noted your apartment addresses and contact phone number just in case you have problems finding a driver at the airport and have to arrange an alternative taxi

glasgow
Level Contributor
133 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any quick tips on essentials - 10 days till we travel!

Kita - as a fellow Scot you have given me the confidence that even if it all goes pear shape I'll cope! We are hardy and resourceful people!

Vladchan - what a great tip - sorting that out now!

Riko09 - god I hope so my Russian isn't good, on word association - for example my name is - is mini boot!

Tipsy252 - I've got Odessey cost about £2 but I think it might be worth it, although I do think my donation to Moscow Greeter and meeting the morning after we land might be worth much more! What's good is you can see Russian words so you can tell what a menu reads!

Go0Russia - thank you, I have that noted and a contact to an English person if we have any problems at the airport.

I have to be honest, I'm well traveled but this has been slightly more worrying than any other trip, thankfully to TA I feel at ease and am excited about my adventure to Moscow and St Petersburg. It's not many people in the 'normal travel' world that go.

The only 'wobble' now is my hubby is scared to take his DSLR camera!

Thanks so much to everyone - hopefully I'm now sorted thanks to TA............. Here's to a fantastic adventure and I'll post a trip report when I get back x

glasgow
Level Contributor
133 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any quick tips on essentials - 10 days till we travel!

PS I can't thank you all enough and if you are in Moscow from 29th August until 5th Sept message me and I'll buy you a drink!

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any quick tips on essentials - 10 days till we travel!

You do sound very organised - and you'll be surprised at how easy it will all seem once you're there, especially as you're so well prepared!

I wouldn't worry too much about printing out requests for train tickets, platforms etc - you can always punch them into your language app and show someone the translation (worked for us in Ukraine recently!). Have you learnt the Cyrillic alphabet? That will help a lot when it comes to signage.

>>I have to be honest, I'm well traveled but this has been slightly more worrying than any other trip<<

I can understand this, I felt a bit the same prior to our trip to Russia. Needlessly, as it turned out (partly because I was almost as organised as you were, it really helps!) - but you'll find that out for yourself when you get there...

:)

I'm sure you'll be fine! Have a fantastic trip!

Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any quick tips on essentials - 10 days till we travel!

How about smart phone pics and color copies of your passport? We never carried ours around but there are always stories about demands to see it. I think most of these stories are manufactured by people that haven't been.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,521 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any quick tips on essentials - 10 days till we travel!

You are right about stories...just that. If it makes you feel more comfortable to have a copy of your passport with you, by all means make a copy...including perhaps having one on your smartphone, but highly unlikely you will be stopped. In fact in you happen to encounter someone who says they are the cops and demands to see your passport, there is a better chance this is a scam!