We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

could not exit moscow for 5 extra days visa mistake

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
connecticut
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
could not exit moscow for 5 extra days visa mistake

didn't check visa exit date issued in nyc by invisa my mistake.did visa on own. invitation letter for 4 days thinking the rest of trip with no other plans was possible for 30 days .can't do this in Russia. can't leave until court fine paid. new visa in Moscow issued. no English help in Moscow visa office. each procedure 1 day at best.read state department notice on extending visa in Russia.could be 20 business days to get out. why are you here in Russia? as tourist asked by Russian all the time. felt safe. had a good time. spent twice what I thought because airlines, fines, last minute hotel reservations cost money. this is a country which doesn't want or need tourist. glad I had the adventure and to be home.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: could not exit moscow for 5 extra days visa mistake

I am very sorry about your situation and glad to hear you safely arrived home. First, would you agree that violation of visa rules, e.g. a visa overstay is considered illegal as it is a serious violation of immigration rules? Needless to say, you are also breaking the federal law and overstaying is sanctioned/penalized under many countries' immigration procedures.

Second, I, however, agree that up to 20 days to settle this is way too long and you are absolutely right saying that it should be fixed if Russia wants to attract more tourists. Violators could pay the fine at the immigration office, or at the airport. The process should take minutes, not days as it is now.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,940 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: could not exit moscow for 5 extra days visa mistake

> this is a country which doesn't want or need tourist

This is a country that doesn't need stupid visitors - we have enough morons of our own.

Edited: 2:45 am, July 12, 2013
connecticut
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: could not exit moscow for 5 extra days visa mistake

our mistake completely. can you imagin going to a visa office in moscow where no one speaks any english and the police immigration office must have translator for your procedure so you know what no plead to make it legal so you can the fine. lucky 2 russian speaking people helped us. everybody was nice. the system in russia should allow tourist out after an airport fine. we had a great time in russia. i'm sure usa treats expired visa people the same stupid way. doesn't might it smart public relations. after the 3 days for any reason, sickness, cancelled plane or stupidness on my part makes your visit $2000 more for the trip.

Banbury
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: could not exit moscow for 5 extra days visa mistake

<<<i'm sure usa treats expired visa people the same stupid way.>>>

Of course not, why would you think that? dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2006028/Barbara…

If you overstay in Russia less than 3 days your consulate can get you out, beyond that you need an exit visa which takes a few days to organise, not the 20 days being claimed but hopefully you can see at least in Russia your at least allowed the freedom to sort this out yourself......

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: could not exit moscow for 5 extra days visa mistake

I actually know where this 20 days period was taken from. This is what the U.S. Embassy to Russia says on its web site.

Source: …usembassy.gov/russian-visas.html#LengthStay

"A valid visa is necessary to depart Russia. Travelers who overstay their visa’s validity, even for one day, will be prevented from leaving until their sponsor intervenes and requests a visa extension on their behalf. Russian authorities may take up to 20 calendar days to authorize an exit visa, during which time the traveler will be stranded in Russia at his or her own expense. The ability of the Embassy or Consulates General to intervene in these situations is extremely limited. "

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: could not exit moscow for 5 extra days visa mistake

Grair t is absolutely right. The information the OP was referring to (U.S Embassy to Russia) is incomplete and outdated. By the way, I was also not aware and thanks to graig tnow I know. If you overstay in Russia for less than 3 days, you just fill out a special form at your departure point (e.g airport) and get your visa fixed within max 40 minutes!!!! This is what was written in new rules introduced at the end of last year. For those interested, the rules can be found here: http://www.rg.ru/2013/02/27/fsb-dok.html (it is in Russian, you need Google to translate). So, in my post one I was not correct as this system has already been improved. 40 minutes maximum....not 20 days!!! It is, of course, more complicated if you overstay for more than 3 days.

Edited: 11:58 am, July 12, 2013
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,940 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: could not exit moscow for 5 extra days visa mistake

> you just fill out a special form at your departure point (e.g airport) and get your visa fixed within max 40 minutes!!!!

Not quite - you need to pay a fine of 600 rubles via a bank, so if there's no fully-fledged bank around then it's going to take more than 40 minutes. I remember a recent post here where a poster had to go from the border crossing (in Narva?) back to St.Pete in the middle of the night to pay the fine.

Edited: 12:09 pm, July 12, 2013
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: could not exit moscow for 5 extra days visa mistake

Of course, thanks Marassa. I forgot to mention a fine...but wait time is still less than 20 days....

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: could not exit moscow for 5 extra days visa mistake

Shouldn't there be a handy dandy payment terminal somewhere to expedite this process?

connecticut
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: could not exit moscow for 5 extra days visa mistake

we are 4 days over. fine 2000 rubos person for violation 1 day for paper work first .600 rubs for new visa. told 5 day wait. but got next day thru russian speakers help. we had local help.without that i don't know.