We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How expensive is Moscow?

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sligo
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
How expensive is Moscow?

I'm going to Moscow soon and have been reading how expensive it is, I knew it wasn't cheap but is it really as expensive as I'm led to believe for example is a pint of beer really 10 euro plus and are basic restaurants ie pizza etc anything around 20 euro and more? I accept that in the centre it would be crazy price wise but surely the locals don't pay those prices, thanks.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
9,766 posts
193 reviews
1. Re: How expensive is Moscow?

> surely the locals don't pay those prices

You bet.

sligo
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: How expensive is Moscow?

So give me a guide of what to expect Marassa? staying in the Novotel centre, how much is a pint of beer? Obviously in the centre its expensive up to E10+ but around the hotel surely its not as bad???? The same for restaurants>

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
9,766 posts
193 reviews
3. Re: How expensive is Moscow?

Novotel Centre is not really very central, the name is a bit of a joke. There is a number of restaurants in the area, I am only familiar with London Grill where 0.5l of beer starts from 137 rubles (~3 euro). There are cheaper places like Moo Moo where beer must be cheaper. But obviously if you try very hard you can find places where beer starts from 10 or 20 or why not 100 euro.

sligo
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: How expensive is Moscow?

ok thanks, point taken.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
199 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: How expensive is Moscow?

Average price of a pint of beer is in the 250-350 rubles range, roughly 6-8 euros. Obviously there are much more expensive places, but in most bars/restaurants the prices will be in that range, unless you go to the really fancy places.

As for food, I'd say 20 euros is in the lower price range for a simple meal, unless you go to the really cheap places like Moo-moo, which is basically just a cafetiria type of place.

Prices don't vary between the central and non-central neighborhoods. Well, food prices might be slightly lower, but alcohol costs pretty much the same everywhere.

And locals do pay these prices. Moscow doesn't have that many tourists, so all restaurants/bars are aimed at locals, there are hardly any "touristy" places that locals don't visit.

Level Contributor
5 posts
34 reviews
6. Re: How expensive is Moscow?

I totally agree with what katri0na wrote. I was surprised by how few "tourist" restaurants there were, but I thought that was great because it meant I was eating what Muscovites eat, and eating with them! If you want to spend over $150 on dinner--no problem. If you want to spend less than $20 on dinner--no problem!! It completely depends on what you want to do. And beer is inexpensive and plentiful. Have fun and take some chances!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
9,766 posts
193 reviews
7. Re: How expensive is Moscow?

> there are hardly any "touristy" places that locals don't visit

I beg to disagree on this one. Many tourists staying in upscale central hotels eat in hotel restaurants which are really expensive, and no normal Russian would drop in for casual lunch or drink at, say, Ritz Carlton. Basically, these bars and restaurants in upscale hotels are the main source of the misinformation about how expensive Moscow is.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
9,766 posts
193 reviews
8. Re: How expensive is Moscow?

PS If you are looking for budget lunches you should know that most restaurants, even more expensive ones, offer so-called "business lunch" set menus at lunch time starting with 200-250 rubles which is quite a bargain.

Moscow
Level Contributor
749 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: How expensive is Moscow?

The people with serious money in Moscow nowadays are Russians, not tourists. Most upper end restaurants will be predominantly Russians apart from the more obvious tourist venues like Cafe Pushkin. Long gone are the days when Moscow had restaurants which only foreigners could afford. @katriOna points this out very well.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
464 posts
10. Re: How expensive is Moscow?

It sounds from Marassas answers we will get by on prices similar to Berlin, as we're not into fancy restaurants but would typically test places like Teremok, London Grill, My-My etc.

Is there a typical "lunch time" in Moscow? Asking because we tend to eat lunch later when on holiday, and for example in my native Sweden (that also have set lunch plates) it can vary between 11-14 and 12-16 depending on restaurant.