We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to bring to barter with??

3 posts
Save Topic
Things to bring to barter with??

I've been told by a few people that I can bring items with me from the US that I can use to barter with- things that are hard to get in Russia and would be very expensive there (it used to be Levi's years ago).

Anyone have any suggestions? I saw that someone mentioned maple syrup in a previous post.

USA & Altai Kray...
Level Contributor
879 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to bring to barter with??

I am surprised that someone mentioned maple syrup as something to barter with as we always have it in the kitchen. You can buy most well-known American and Eurpean products in stores here now at erasonable prices.

Level Contributor
518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to bring to barter with??

Hi, citygirl,

I mentioned maple syrup as a good present from a Canadian to a Russian.

We have maple syrup in some stores, but not the best brands, rather some maple syrup. It's rather expensive, e.g. 250g bottle costs about USD18 here. Maybe, it's the same price as in Canada, I just do not know.

I doubt, however, that this is good for barter. I even doubt that Russian are interested in barter now.

There are a lot of Chinese and Turkish clothes of acceptable quality, and foodstuffs from all over the world. So, if someone wants something, he surely finds.

What exactly do you want to get from Russia? Maybe, it's easier to buy it, if it is locally produced it should not be expensive. In this case you do not need to bother about barter.

Enjoy your trip

Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to bring to barter with??

Barter is an old practice used during the Communist era. Now days, I found the selection of goods and services in Moscow to be comparable to Chicago. Don't bring anything to trade except cash.

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to bring to barter with??

yes- I think the info I got was a little dated. I'm here now- so I can totally see that! Thanks!!

5. Re: Things to bring to barter with??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, August 15, 2009
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question