We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover in Moscow

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Woodbine, Georgia
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Layover in Moscow

My husband, ten year old son, and I, are contemplating taking a roundtrip Aeroflot flight from JFK to Rome, the price is great and on our return flight we have a chance at an overnight layover in Moscow, My question is this, we have US passports but do we need visas too? Also would like to have a car and driver waiting for us to take us to our hotel, Because taking public transportation is going to be tough on our little boy after a late night flight, we are Thinking about staying at The Marriott Grand Central, Our flight arrives at 5:am from Rome so I am sure we will be a little tired. Have been all over Europe but never to Russia and we are so excited that we may experience this once in a lifetime chance .Any suggestions would be appreciated and thank you all!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover in Moscow

1. You will need a transit visa. Without a Russian visa you will not, unfortunately, be allowed to leave the transit zone. Check Russian Embassy' web site for more details or check the FAQ section here.

2. No problem arranging a car waiting for you. There are many companies providing this service. You can, of course, request a Marriott transfer but it will be more expensive.

Woodbine, Georgia
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover in Moscow

This is very confusing I just went online to a company and they wanted $240.00 pp to help with the Russian Visa, There is a flight with an ten hour lay over, If we left the airport for a short ride in to Moscow would we still need a full Visa? A transit visa will only be for the airport layover? which means you can not leave right? My husband is in The US Military does that include him too? whew , seems super complicated but my husbands of Russian descent and has always wanted to go there. Thank you for your help. Wish me luck!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover in Moscow

<This is very confusing I just went online to a company and they wanted $240.00 pp to help with the Russian Visa>

Sure. You can find hundreds of company willing to assist for a fee. What confuses you?

<There is a flight with an ten hour lay over, If we left the airport for a short ride in to Moscow would we still need a full Visa?>

It does not matter how long you want to spend outside airport's transit zone. If you want leave the airport - you need a Russian visa!!

<A transit visa will only be for the airport layover? which means you can not leave right? >

Right! You can not leave the airport without visa.

<My husband is in The US Military does that include him too?>

It does not matter.

< whew , seems super complicated but my husbands of Russian descent and has always wanted to go there. Thank you for your help. Wish me luck!>

Of course I wish you good luck. Please let us know if you have any questions. BTW: why you need a middleman between you and the Embassy? Check Embassy' s web site about how to get a transit visa! It is not complicated and I am sure you do not need to pay extra money to a middleman

Edited: 1:38 pm, May 16, 2013
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover in Moscow

<There is a flight with an ten hour lay over, If we left the airport for a short ride in to Moscow would we still need a full Visa? A transit visa will only be for the airport layover?>

What exactly do you mean when you say "full visa"? You need a transit visa to leave the airport and be able to spend some time in the city. This is the simplest and the only way. Check also the FAQ section on this page re. Russian visas

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,807 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Layover in Moscow

The good news on Transit visa to second Vlad1969's usual excellent advice is that there is a LOT less hassle in paperwork...the bad news...it costs exactly the same as a "real" visa! But truly, hope you do not have to lay out extra $ for this. I think, however, you will find this to end up being close to $200 anyway...

$140 for transit visa

$30 ILS (agency you have to go thru...NOT a travel agency, but rather kind of an arm of the consulate

$30 mailing fees (unless you are lucky enough to be able to drop off in person at 1 of 5 consulates

$35 for certified mail return fee (I personally found this to be rather "galling"...I offered to provide my own pre-paid, express mail, they turned me down, and then to add insult to injury, shipped USP Ground...

$235 total...although the latter 2 might not be person as the first 2 are...

The trade-off if you use a visa agency, while you still pay the first 2 ($170), at least you can arrange your own return - pre-paid Express Mail for $15 or so...

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Layover in Moscow

Your husband wasn't born in Russia by any chance? That's another complicating factor.

Woodbine, Georgia
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Layover in Moscow

Thanks for all the great advice working on it now and hopefully will be ready by Sept to answer Vlads question my husband was born in The US but with strong Russian roots, thanks again!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Layover in Moscow

Yes, you have time before your late September trip to Minory, but do not wait to apply for a Russian visa until the last moment. Be ready to apply approximately two months in advance to be on a safe site.

In addition, Ebertsj raised a good point that a transit visa costs exactly the same as a tourist visa. So, why not apply for a tourist visa? Just ask Marriott to provide you will "visa support documents". You will not need to say more: they will understand what you are talking about. As Ebertsj said you apply through ILS agency. Under a new U.S.-Russia visa agreement you will get a three-year multiply entry visa for the same amount of money. Who knows, may be you will decide to come back to Russia within this three-year period and you will then not need to apply for a new visa.

Edited: 8:20 am, May 17, 2013
9. Re: Layover in Moscow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 19, 2014