We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking train tickets on RZD website

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Booking train tickets on RZD website

I'm so thrilled!!! I just booked my train ticket on rzd.ru website which has recently enabled an English version for travelers. The transaction went smoothly and I had no issues with the visa verified check either (used an Australian card).

I however had Ebertsj step by step guide handy just in case but didn't have to use it in the end.

For those booking your travels shortly, please note that you will have to manually enter your seat number as there is no seat map to select anymore (just open another tab to view the cabin layout and check which seat you would like prior).

You will of course have to register and login first to complete your transaction. I cannot comment on whether the registration part is also in English as I had registered prior to that using Ebertsj cheat sheets- Thank you Ebertsj :))

Good luck everyone!

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking train tickets on RZD website

I can guardedly confirm. I shadowed this all the way up to ticket purchase, and all went well. There is in fact a "seat map" cleverly called car plan...but you do not see this until you get to the final passenger data screen. At the top right of the place to enter data, click on the Car Plan button, and up will pop the visual. Open seats/places are in white (I dd notice on some of the prior pages, me could click on this, but the legend they showed for what the various markings mean is at best confusing).

Note that until you choose your seat...whether as I stated, or by guessing a a random seat/place # and entering it on the passenger data page, you will not be able to proceed (continue button is not "active")...

Enjoy...this is truly great news for all...Note, I have a vague feeling this change is related to the issues we had seen at the Intourist.ru web site recently which seemed to offer an English language option but without huge mark-ups...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking train tickets on RZD website

One more thing, please ensure that you enable pop up on your computer prior to booking (mine was disabled) hence why I couldn't get into the car plan although I clicked on it a number of times ...

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking train tickets on RZD website

Hi.

I too need to book tickets but for St Petersburg to Yaroslavl which is an overnight train. I have been on the rzd.ru site and I get as far as the car plan but then I am unsure about the types of seats/beds.

Will not be travelling until July so can't book yet. What does the plan mean? All female? All male? Mixed? I'll be with my husband so we will want to be together. Does it mean aircraft type seating or couchette type bunks?

Has anyone done this trip?

Thanks; there have been some great posts.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking train tickets on RZD website

Not aware there is an overnight direct between St. Petersburg and Yaroslavl...I think you likely come into Moscow overnight, then head back out to Yaroslavl?

But please refer to the overview on trains under Top Questions, top right of this page. It has initial information on classes of cabin, etc.

The thing about male/female has to do with when you choose a cabin (assuming you get this class of service - lockable cabin for 2 - first class- or 4- second), whether you want to ensure you do not get a compartment mate of the "opposite" sex. If there are 2 of you, and you grab a first class cabin to yourself, then no worries. If you go for second, then by definition, you won't be able to restrict anyway.

I did find the new design for showing seat map to be not as good as the old. They do not seem to have gotten the color coding right in their "legend"...but, for sure, choose places together in same cabin that are white - open...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
372 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking train tickets on RZD website

Thank you, Emma and Eberts, this looks promising! I have made a 'dummy' booking and got as far as the payment page, and all went ok. I've tried two scenarios, one: StP to Novgorod OV and the other Novgorod to Moscow. Seat Plan option came up for Novgorod to Moscow only, perhaps because this is an overnight train. So keeping fingers crossed!

los
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking train tickets on RZD website

hi,

thanks ebe for the pdf guide, it is an extremely helpful piece of work you put together.

my question is:

on the english version of the rdz website, it didn't seem that obvious what seat I was picking or which direction it faced. the popup came up, i click on a compartment, nothing really happens, is there something i'm missing?

thank you in advance for your time.

-martin

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking train tickets on RZD website

Hi Martin,

When I booked mine the pop up didn't work as well. I opened another browser and looked up the train compartment and seats I wanted then manually typed it on the space provided.

If you look to your top left on the English site you will notice "trains" 6th down, click on it and click on the route you're after i.e if you wanted to book the Sapsan Train from St Petersburg to Moscow you will see red arrows directing West for Moscow and East for St Petersburg - direction of travel, click on the car # and choose your seat then manually enter it on your booking.

Hope this helps...

Edited: 7:45 am, May 17, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
372 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking train tickets on RZD website

This announcement about improvements is from the rzd website:

eng.rzd.ru/newse/public/en…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking train tickets on RZD website

I too went in to book and was surprised by the english version which seem pretty complete. Yet to book though as I have a question - what is the difference between 2nd class with and without service ? and where would be a good site to have a look at the plan of the coach before selecting a seat ?

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking train tickets on RZD website

Service means snacks, newspapers, you don't need it.