We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit in Domodedovo Airport (9 hours between flights)

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
9 posts
Save Topic
Transit in Domodedovo Airport (9 hours between flights)

Hello,

We are USA passport holders and will fly from Geneva to Domodedovo to Nukus. The flight between Geneva and DME operated by SWISS Air, the flight between DME and Nukus (Uzbekistan) operated by Uzbekistan Airway. SWISS Air arrives to International terminal at DME, and the flight departure Uzbekistan Airways from International Terminal too. The luggage will be checked until Domodedovo. Russian Consulate said that they are not issuing a Transit visas if the connections between flights less than 24 hours. Ok fine.

So, the questions are:

1) Are we staying in transit area until Check-In starts to the flight Uzbekistan Airlines? (9 hours between flights) Or will they Check us in as soon as we arrive?

2) What about the luggage? Will Domodedovo TRansfer Area Staff register our luggage to a new flight of Uzbekistan Airways without getting us out from Secured Transit area?

3) Is there any way to get transit visas in Airport in case of emergency?

HELPPP PLEASE WITH INFO. The flights starts on this Saturday.

Thanks in advance,

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,847 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit in Domodedovo Airport (9 hours between flights)

www.domodedovo.ru/en/main/transfer/info/

PS The consulate staff are a bunch of morons - why not issue a transit visa to a transit passenger? You could try to speak to another person at the consulate or book a refundable flight making your connection longer than 24 hours, get your visa then return the ticket. But it's too late anyway.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit in Domodedovo Airport (9 hours between flights)

Your luggage will be transferred. You are locked at the security area of Domodedovo-no way out without a visa. There is a consul for emergencies. Wifi is free in the terminal. Cheapest water, beer and snacks - in the vending mashines, and you need roubles for that. Try to get some beforehand, there is a hellish exchange before passport/transit security check, or Master Bank cash mashine exchanges come cash at a better rate.

Washington DC...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit in Domodedovo Airport (9 hours between flights)

The Consulate is right. According to Russian Regulations about transit visa: Transit passengers are not required to obtain a Transit visa if the passenger will not cross official border in Airport (By other word will stay in transit area) and their tickets indicates that the time between flights less than 24 hours.

I found that Law in internet. I understand that and don't have any issue. I am not gonna leave transit area if they will put my luggage into the next flight without me getting it out.

I spoke to Domodedovo hotline and a lady said no issue and we gonna register you to the next flight with your tickets, and will put your luggage into the next flight.

My questions are mostly related to procedures: How does it work? Did anyone experienced that before?

Washington DC...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit in Domodedovo Airport (9 hours between flights)

Thank you Vasily! I thought same. I am getting nervous when I hear mixed messages. I am flying with a child and by myself. I believe, Russia is very developed country and I am not the first one who is flying like that.

Last time (in 2011 december flight) we had the transit visas and airport staff were very friendly. They allowed us to check-in without waiting in line because we were flying with a baby. But Russians say: Раз на Раз не приходится.

So question is: Will they transfer my luggage even If I have two different tickets from two different carriers?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,847 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transit in Domodedovo Airport (9 hours between flights)

The consulate is not right. Yes you don't need a visa if you opt to sit in the airport for 9 hours, but you don't want to sit there, trust me. Why not visit Moscow instead?

Washington DC...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transit in Domodedovo Airport (9 hours between flights)

Hi Marassa, thank you for your comments and notes. I am flying with 3 year old son and really would not like to go out in Moscow even I like Moscow a lot. I know it will be a long trip (total 20 hours) and 9 hours in Transit area will not be fun. My concerns are about airport staff in Transit area and how they will handle luggage. The luggage will be checked in until DME airport. Do you anyone who had similar situation?

forum.awd.ru/viewtopic.php?t=111293&p=2676431

Here is one guy had similar situation, but it was long time ago.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,847 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transit in Domodedovo Airport (9 hours between flights)

I see. No, I remember people asking the same question here but no one bothered to come back and post a report. Most people take TA for a free helpdesk and don't realize it's supposed to be a two-way street.

Washington DC...
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transit in Domodedovo Airport (9 hours between flights)

Thank you Marassa. I will certainly come back and post my experience. Hopefully it will be only good experience. You are right, people asked, but never got back about the results. Yes, it should be two-way street and we should help each other. I tried to search to find out if somebody got back and said something whats happened. I appreciate your information. I don't think Domodedovo airport is bad, but I wanted to find out more details: What to do? What will be my steps to avoid unnecessary problems? Should I bribe someone there? :-) What airport staff in transit area will do? How do they help? What about luggage transfer if you checked it in until DME airport.

I will come back and post everything what I will see there. And What people should do. At least other people will not get crazy like me now.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,847 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transit in Domodedovo Airport (9 hours between flights)

Please relax and don't bribe anyone; the airport site says "please notify the transfer agent" and that's what you should do. You wrote earlier that you spoke to Domodedovo and they assured you it's no problem - why continue worrying about nothing?

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,228 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transit in Domodedovo Airport (9 hours between flights)

> why continue worrying about nothing?<

Marassa, this is the essence of difference between women and men.

Umkadc, you may also try to post same question on air travel forum, perchance someone has encountered similar situation like yours.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

I don't know what will happen on the day, but from my general flying experience you most likely will not be able to check in to next flight until the desk is open, may be 3 hours prior to flight time. I would be hopeful too about luggage transfer as you are not the first passenger with this dilemma, and hopefully there is a system in place! Like you, I would be proactive and inquire at arrival how to make sure this is done and not assume it's automatic. (I assume carry on luggage only is out of the question for you?) Here is something I found on DME website: http://www.domodedovo.ru/en/main/transfer/

>>5. Domodedovo special transfer technologies and high quality service

Selecting Domodedovo as a connecting airport guarantees passengers a high level of personal security and service quality. Transfer passengers are serviced at dedicated transfer desks and their baggage is processed without their involvement.*

*if the passenger's baggage has been properly checked through at the airport of initial departure to the final destination<<

Maybe you should ask SWISSair if / how they could tag it to final destination.

A mother with small child garners much sympathy from airport staff all around the world, play it up.

Good luck!