We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mobile internet kurgan russia

Manchester, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
mobile internet kurgan russia

I am going to spend 3 weeks in Kurgan Russia. I need internet access on my laptop and the hotel I am staying at does not have this. I also need a local nano sim for my iphone 5.

Can anyone advise which would be the best provider to go with and how best to do this?

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,413 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mobile internet kurgan russia

Please see top questions, top right of this page for a discussion of some options here...getting a SIM card is easy...and there are bunches of stores that sell these...

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: mobile internet kurgan russia

...I just want to note that your IPhone5 will work with a local nano SIM card only if you IPhone is unlocked.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,413 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mobile internet kurgan russia

Yikes...I assumed the OP was aware of the locking issue! But best to point this out just in case.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,926 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mobile internet kurgan russia

Assuming you can/have unlocked your iphone and it allows tethering your best bet would be to use it both as smartphone and data modem.

An android phone can actually operate as a mobile hotspot - if sucks in mobile data and distributes it over wifi to your laptop etc. I have no idea if iphones can do this trick

Edited: 11:35 am, March 03, 2013
Manchester, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: mobile internet kurgan russia

thanks for the info

Yes the iphone 5 is unlocked and can tether.

The question is really about local knowledge of what networks offer the best speed/price internet in Kurgan and are nano sims available in stores and what kind of speeds can I expect there i.e. 3G or 4G?

Can read Russian so the websites aren't that helpful even when translated.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,398 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mobile internet kurgan russia

Not sure abour 4G in Kurgan, but 3G will work. All 3 mobile operators have websites, and in English. At least my favorite MTS tells in English rates and tariffs. SIMs are to be purchased in any of gazillion ((c) Marassa) phone shops. You will need a passport to sign up. Micro SIM is nothing unheard of. Enjoy!

Korolev, Russia
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mobile internet kurgan russia

…beeline.ru/usb/kurgan/tarif/index.wbp

11 GB per month for 550 RUB.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mobile internet kurgan russia

As for your lap top, you may have to find a place that has wifi, or a hotel that has an internet cafe? AIM.

9. Re: mobile internet kurgan russia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 06, 2014