We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is food and water usually allowed into Luzhniki Stadium?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is food and water usually allowed into Luzhniki Stadium?

Can someone please advise if bringing own food and water i.e sandwiches are usually allowed at Luzhniki stadium during normal football games?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,849 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is food and water usually allowed into Luzhniki Stadium?

www.luzhniki.ru/content/about/rules.php

Moscow
Level Contributor
514 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is food and water usually allowed into Luzhniki Stadium?

I'm thrilled. )

Why would anyone want to bring in one's own food or drink into Luzhniki during a football game?

If you're actually secretly asking that famous question which is discussed from time to time at Russian football forums, it has long been agreed that the best way of getting alcohol inside the grounds is... inside of yourself. )

That's what imbibing sessions before the game (traditionally referred to in Russian fan jargon as "warm-ups") are for. ;)

But are you serious?

Even if you are, it's always better to sit down with friends in a pub before the game.

If that is absolutely not possible, you are certainly allowed to bring in food, but no beverages, I am afraid. Or at least they will have you unscrew your plastic water bottle and throw the cap into the rubbish bin. Or take the bottle away anyway. You never know.

The prices charged for (no-nonsense) food and drinks inside are, of course, obnoxious, but they still won't set you back a real lot: you only need a small snack after all to last you a couple of hours.

But why the question at all?

They are going to tear down Luzhniki anyway in one year.

A part of history will collapse amid dust… where we have beaten the Horses (CSKA), the Garbage (Dynamo), the Bums (appropriately called Zenit - The Nit) and the rest of the scum so many-many times….

The best terrace performances are already in the past though - like this one, on the Euro-night against Barca last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYwdpGMs5yI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gMFzhhpPVU

The pub to get into the mood in the runup to the game is the one recommended in the latter video (the motto is "You'll never drink alone"). It's SMall Pub (notice the SM - Spartak Moscow - hint?).

Located a couple of minutes from Prospekt Mira metro (http://smpub.ru/), it is a popular (and peaceful) haunt for Spartak ultras, hools, and scarfers alike.

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is food and water usually allowed into Luzhniki Stadium?

@ Marassa thanks very much for the link, very helpful and exactly what I was looking for.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,962 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is food and water usually allowed into Luzhniki Stadium?

Is it really allowed to promote own favorite football club here? Kepi - where exactly in the league table is your favorite Spam? And who is on top now please? I'm not a fan of Zenit surely, but who was the champion last year? And the year before? When your Spam was champion last time? Louder, please! (if this is allowed here :)

Emmaland - you can buy basic food and softdrinks inside. No alcohol on the premices. Bags will be searched.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is food and water usually allowed into Luzhniki Stadium?

@ Kepi my question was related to bringing water into the stadium not alcohol but thanks for the tips which will not be necessary as I am not a drinker lol...

And yes I am serious about taking my own food and water (if allowed) please allow me to clarify why:

I will be attending the World Cup Rugby 7's tournament held at Luzhniki stadium in June, this tournament is over 3 full days (28-29-30 June) so even if I buy a snack at the stadium it will not suffice for the whole day. check out this link for more info http://www.rwcsevens.com/

It is my first visit to Russia therefore I have no idea what to expect and what kind of food are usually available at your stadium so as a precaution I would prefer bringing in a sandwich, some fruits and nuts to snack on during the day.

As you have pointed out food on the ground are exorbitant so I'd rather be safe than starve the whole day if I do not like or can not handle what's on offer there.

In Australia and a couple of other countries where I have attended previous tournaments, I have been able to bring in my own food and water in plastic bottle as long as it is seal.

I was relying on you locals to advise me that's all.

Thank you for your advices!

Mentioned in this post
Russia
Russia
Europe
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is food and water usually allowed into Luzhniki Stadium?

Thanks Vasily for the info :)

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,962 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is food and water usually allowed into Luzhniki Stadium?

Emmaland, usually at domestic football, security is tougher, than on international events. I'm afraid no water or bottles would be allowed inside - you'll have to spend roubles on that. Expect 100 R per half-liter bottle of water or cola. Have no idea on who is the Cup's sponsor - his drinks will be on sale. Think no objections with sandwiches or nuts.

Usual Luzhniki food is hotdogs, packed chips and packed sandwiches.

Moscow
Level Contributor
514 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Is food and water usually allowed into Luzhniki Stadium?

Emmaland

Now I get it. )

You're planning just the thing I would myself be thinking about.

Since you can understand Russian text, I would recommend the following advice for football fans visiting Luzhniki (and rugby in Russia attracts some of the usual football crowds) from a national sports daily (which has been written with the assistance of a police officer overseeing mass sports gatherings in Moscow) -

fanat1k.ru/print-10340-brazilskaya-samba-na-…

Besides being laden with peculiar "supporter jargon", the recommendations are, of course, intended for domestic audiences, and arrangements at international events are always in many ways more efficient. The cops, for example, suddenly turn out all sporting white shirts and get extremely courteous and even charismatic. ) The food counters, too, are stocked up much better, albeit without getting any cheaper.

So in contrast to ordinary football games, where you can sometimes see dozens of plastic water bottles lined up near the entrance turnstiles, these may probably be allowed in this time (considering also the summer heat), provided, of course, that the caps are unscrewed and discarded. But I may be wrong on that, while Vasily above may be right in that no water will actually be permitted as a carry-on. You never know. But there will be plenty of water sold inside the grounds, of course.

Juices in carton boxes are always permitted to be brought in, as are sandwiches. I am not certain about fruits (some of them at times are frowned upon by the unpredictable law enforcers, but apples, peaches, cherries, and strawberries are expected to be waved through).

Should you be carrying a large rucksack or any outsize bag, anticipate to be turned away and pointed in the direction of a mobile luggage room (usually parked a fairly long walk away).

Expect several security cordons on approaches to the stadium.

Banners and flags are always subject to special requirements and screening.

Smoking, alas, has previously been permitted, but they have now passed some severe legislation against smoking in public places and that will probably be enforced (I am not certain about that, since I simply have not followed the subject).

As Luzhniki is not a football stadium and the pitch there is separated from the stands by the running tracks, the terraces are really quite a distance from the field, so I'd recommend taking glasses. Following my incongruent alcohol-related jokes in the previous posting, for which I apologize, I have to specify that what I mean this time, of course, is "binocs" ;).

That is how the stadium looks inside (Champions League final) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZAOGs1uQMs

I don't know whether you have already booked your seats, but if the games are in daytime, the stand to be in is A, as C is fully exposed to sunlight. The B and D stands (usually occupied by the football ultras) are behind each of the goals (and behind a curvature) and are a virtual mile away from the action.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Mentioned in this post
Russia
Russia
Europe
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is food and water usually allowed into Luzhniki Stadium?

@ Vasily, thank you for the additional info. I will keep in mind and also just buy water on the grounds.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is food and water usually allowed into Luzhniki Stadium?

@ Kepi, unfortunately I do not speak Russian but with the help of Google translation I managed to get a good understanding of what to expect...

I think it will be wiser and easier for me to just buy water on the grounds.

It is just a shame about the running tracks and thanks for your tip about bringing in binoculars. I will remember to pack them.

I have already purchased my tickets and I am pleased to note that I will be protected from the sun and under cover hopefully. Seated in area C lower ground.

Thanks once again for your input, its really appreciated.