We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on itinerary please

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
510 posts
1,561 reviews
Save Topic
Thoughts on itinerary please

Hi

Would welcome some advise on my itinerary for an upcoming trip to Russia in June of this year.

My initial plan was to fly to Moscow, a few days there, a couple of days travelling around some of the Golden Ring and then back to Moscow to catch a train to St Petersburg.

Someone has mentioned that Kiev would be a good starting point and miss off the Golden Ring to see Kiev.

Appreciate this is a question which perhaps doesn't 100% fit the Moscow forum criteria but I would be interested to see if anyone has any recommendations on which trip to tag onto the Moscow leg of the journey.

FYI - We are a couple in our mid 30s, love travelling and sightseeing.

Thanks

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,765 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on itinerary please

What's your itinerary again?

Kiev is even further from Moscow than St.Pete and it happens to be in another country, so I don't quite see how you can "tag it onto the Moscow leg".

Edited: 5:09 am, January 04, 2013
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
510 posts
1,561 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on itinerary please

Thanks Marassa! Totally appreciate this is in another country! I just found it odd that 2 separate people had mentioned Kiev as a different leg of the trip....it was like it was a known journey (which I couldn't find much about)

Plan was initially

(Fly) Moscow 4 days

(train )Golden circle 2-3 days

(train) St Petersburg 4 days

A couple of people have suggested

(Fly) Kiev 3 days

(Train) Moscow 4 days

(Train) St Petersburg 4 days

Thanks

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,765 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on itinerary please

The second itinerary is quite feasible but the point of visiting Golden Ring is seeing some small towns and countryside for a change. Kiev is a fantastic place but it's another large capital city and unless you are intimately familiar with Russian history/culture/language you won't even notice you're in another country, only the money is different. I personally don't feel abroad in Kiev even though I AM intimately familiar with all of the above :)

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts on itinerary please

Hi Vanessa,

Considering that you (I assume, a UK resident) do not need a visa to Ukraine for up to 90 days, and that Kyiv is pretty easy to get to from Moscow by either air or train, heading to Ukraine AND Russia on the same trip might not be such a bad idea.

Kyiv is a terrific place (isn’t it, Marassa? ;) So I vote for itinerary 2! But I’m biased :)

Should you decide on Kyiv and have any questions about it, I’d be delighted to help you in Kyiv forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g294474-i3663-Kiev…

Edited: 5:29 am, January 04, 2013
Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,807 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts on itinerary please

Kiev is indeed also a beautiful city, with a rich past and heritage, however, I would tend to agree you do a pure Russia trip. The Golden Ring cities are very unique, a very nice contrast from the big cities of Moscow and St. Petersburg, which themselves are quite different from each other.

I also factor into this logistics, and, assuming you are up to it, any "studying up" you might want to prior to trip on history, etc. Admittedly, re: history, Kiev and Ukraine are in fact quite closely connected with Russia throughout history as part of the overall history of Slavic cultures...I will stop her so as not to offend either our Russian or Ukrainian friends with any inadvertent, un intended "slights"...

While Ukraine is indeed visa-free, you would still have to get a Russian visa...

Aside from further stunning history and architecture to be taken in in Vladimir and Suzdal (the most likely cities of the Golden Ring you would visit), it is also the atmosphere of being in more "small town" Russia that I enjoyed and feel you would too...

Having said all this, do plan to take Cora on her offer when you come back for more as I am sure you will!

Edited: 7:44 am, January 04, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thoughts on itinerary please

It looks like you have to make a choice between Kiev and the golden ring? AIM.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thoughts on itinerary please

Your first itinerary resembles the one we're planning for this summer. Well, I guess sometimes the beaten path is beaten for a reason. You might consider adopting our variant: rather than returning to Moscow for an overnight train to Petersburg, make Suzdal your last or only Golden Ring town and then take the overnight train that goes directly to Petersburg from Vladimir. (It goes through Moscow of course, but you don't need to change or get off the train.) Among other advantages, the timing works out better for a chance at real sleep.

8. Re: Thoughts on itinerary please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, January 06, 2014