We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moscow: Communist souvenirs/brochures?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
91 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Moscow: Communist souvenirs/brochures?

Can anyone recommend a place in Moscow to find old Soviet-era knick-knacks (pins, etc.) and brochures (travel stuff, Marxist political pamphlets like the kind they used to hand out at the airport!)? I'll be travelling in June for my first visit to Moscow since 1986...

Thanks!

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moscow: Communist souvenirs/brochures?

I saw quite a lot of this kind of thing when we went to the flea market at Izmailovo last year.

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moscow: Communist souvenirs/brochures?

As a follow-up, is there any cultural sensitivity with foreigners (especially American's) wanting to buy Soviet memorabilia as, essentially, kitsch?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moscow: Communist souvenirs/brochures?

> As a follow-up, is there any cultural sensitivity with foreigners (especially American's) wanting to buy Soviet memorabilia as, essentially, kitsch?

Of course not - who else would buy that?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
91 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moscow: Communist souvenirs/brochures?

Thanks for the heads-up on Izmaylovo -- I will definitely check this out!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
505 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moscow: Communist souvenirs/brochures?

there are some shops in the beginning of Arbat on your left handside (when walking to Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which is the end) which might interest you.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moscow: Communist souvenirs/brochures?

But there is "sensitivity" on the part of customs for things like medals and they will seize them. So don't buy them

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moscow: Communist souvenirs/brochures?

Izmailovo is a good choice, but I have also seen people selling this kind of stuff in parks. Mostly older people. AIM.

8. Re: Moscow: Communist souvenirs/brochures?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, December 17, 2013