We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 hour layover in Russia

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
55 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
15 hour layover in Russia

Fellow Travelers,

I will be flying from JFK to the Maldives with a 15 hour layover in Moscow. I plan to go ahead and have some rubles exchange through Wells Fargo before I go. Im planning to visit the City Center/Red Square area. Any suggestions on how much USD I should exchange?

Thanks for your time.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 15 hour layover in Russia

More importantly do you have a visa for Russia?

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,296 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 15 hour layover in Russia

Assuming you get a visa, save yourself some money and just grab some rubles out of ATM...buying any currency, especially a less common one like the ruble, in retail mode will entail quite a bit of mark- up...

Moscow, Moscow...
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 15 hour layover in Russia

It will be ok, if you'll use a credit card for shops and ticket- offices. There are lots of cash mashines in airports, for your comfort you should have about 150-250 usd exchanged.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,296 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 15 hour layover in Russia

I think it is fair to say a number of smaller shops - and certainly many if not most street vendors do not accept credit cards...at least, not as commonly as many of us further "west" are used to...

But, thanks for pointing to there are ATMs everywhere, are very reliable, and almost all have English language options.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
55 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 15 hour layover in Russia

Thanks for your replies. I do have a passport.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 15 hour layover in Russia

> I do have a passport.

Good for you! Now do you have a Russian visa in your passport?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 15 hour layover in Russia

No visa no exit airport! If you get a visa $200 should get you down town via the Aeroexpress and then taxi or metro to Red Square. This amount should get you there and back, tickets, food, taxi etc. You can exchange back any left over R at the airport before flying out. AIM.

Moscow, Moscow...
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 15 hour layover in Russia

I agree that street vendors at the Red Square doesn't accept cards, but mostly all shops (and souvenir too) does. As well as any ticket-offices (and aeroexpress). There will be a problem with cards in metro and in taxi.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
55 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 15 hour layover in Russia

I meant Visa... Received it the other day ;-)

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 15 hour layover in Russia

A tip: if you decide to use Aeroexpress+metro, buy metro tickets together with your Aeroexpress tickets. You can use your credit card this way and won't have to cope with buying metro tickets in cash-only, Russian-only environment later. Come to think of it, you might try to get by with no Russian cash at all, worth trying if just for fun.