We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renunciation of Russian citizenship procedure

San Diego...
2 posts
Save Topic
Renunciation of Russian citizenship procedure

Has anyone ever completed the process of renouncing their Russian citizenship? Where do you start? How long does it take? Is there a way to speed it up?

I'm a US citizen born in USSR, came here when I was young, in May '92. Never had a Russian passport, but was written into my mother's Soviet passport. Came on a refugee visa (if that makes a difference). I need a tourist visa ASAP. Any help is genuinely appreciated.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: Renunciation of Russian citizenship procedure

If you immigrated to the US from Ukraine and until immigration lived in Ukraine, technically you immigrated as a Ukrainian citizen, not Russian. If you lived in Russia up until your immigration and can prove it (by having an internal Russian passport with the stamp of registration in Russia (propiska)), you can request to confirm your Russian citizenship and apply for a Russian passport. Otherwise, you immigrated from Ukraine as a Ukrainian citizen and therefore, have no Russian citizenship. Hope, it helps.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,246 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Renunciation of Russian citizenship procedure

I was going by the statement "lost my Ukrainian citizenship". So, unless somehow with all the possible USSR angles, he had BOTH Russian and Ukrainian citizenship, which I somehow doubt (that is, did USSR agree with dissolution that ALL citizens of USSR, or perhaps those initially born in Russia, automatically got dual citizenship), then he is out of luck. I guess one never knows unless one asks, tries...

33. Re: Renunciation of Russian citizenship procedure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 26, 2015