We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying from Moscow Sheremetyevo

Dewsbury
Level Contributor
16 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Flying from Moscow Sheremetyevo

I have booked a flight from Moscow to Beijing with Air China.

It became apparent after booking that i have to present the card used to pay for the reservation upon check in.

The problem is the flight was booked by my mother in law who will not be traveling with me and will be in the UK.

I called Air China customer service who says that it is a requirement of Russia and that there is no way round it. But to be honest i got the impression she didn't have a clue what she was talking about since she kept contradicting herself.

My questions are:

1) Is it a requirement of Russia or indeed Air China that the card used for the booking is presented at check in.

2) Can/Will Air China stop me from traveling if i do not have the card, even though i will have Passports and Visa?

3) Does anyone have any experience which me be helpful?

Thank you in advance.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,509 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying from Moscow Sheremetyevo

I have just read the rules of three different Russian airlines and there is no mention that you have to present your credit card anywhere. Besides, no Russian official will even see you ticket - upon entry to the airport you go straight to Air China check-in desk where Air China employees will give you (or not give you) a boarding pass. Seems like an Air China invention. Could you give a link to the exact wording of these rules?

Dewsbury
Level Contributor
16 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying from Moscow Sheremetyevo

Thanks for that.

The link is here:

airchina.co.uk/en/…checkin.html

Where it says: "...necessary visas and other valid travel documents that you used during the purchase of your ticket. Be sure to complete all check-in and exit requirements in advance"

I called customer services who confirmed this includes the credit card.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,509 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying from Moscow Sheremetyevo

> I called customer services who confirmed this includes the credit card.

I really don't know. Did you specify your passport number when booking or is your mother in law's credit card number the only id that is associated with your ticket?

BTW I just remembered that I recently bought a ticket for a friend (bmi, London to Moscow and back) and paid with my credit card - she didn't have any problem checking in with this ticket, so this is not a "requirement of Russia" for sure.

I suggest you try to reach someone knowledgeable at Air China instead of the first line of support girl, probably hired yesterday.

Moscow
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying from Moscow Sheremetyevo

First time I hear about this kind of requirements of Russia. I've bought airline tickets on-line (but not Air China) but nobody asked my credit card. Besides, credit card is not a travel document anyway, passport is it.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
201 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying from Moscow Sheremetyevo

I agree with all the above comments, it's deffinetly not a requirement of the Russian authorities - the officials only get to see your hassport and your boarding pass after you've already registered for the flight. So it's just Air China's requiremet. However, I've come across other companies who require the same (credit card to be presented when regestering for the flight), but not once have I been asked to actually show my credit card.

Dewsbury
Level Contributor
16 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying from Moscow Sheremetyevo

I would like to thank you all for your replies.

They have certainly made me feel better to know it is not a country requirement.

I will just have to see what happens.

Moscow
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying from Moscow Sheremetyevo

I had recently same issue with Turkish airlines: they do have rule that a credit card used for on-line booking shall be presented upon check-in (or the holder of the card shall be there)...

In my case I had to departure from Moscow two days before my parents for whom I booked and paid the tickets. So either me or they had to be checking in without the card being presented.

Answering your questions:

1) This is a requirement of particular airlines. At least we already know about two: Air China and Turkish airlines :)

2) Formally they can. It is like with any contractual obligations - you've accepted the terms on booking, you have to follow the rules... But I believe it should't be a problem due to the fact that checking in is performed by regular airport staff, who is unlikely digging in all these tiny details with different airlines (and also considering that their electronic systems aren't very user-friendly so any non-routine issue is a BIG deal) + they don't all speak english so they unlikely to understand any non-routine system messages.

3) I hedged again possible problems by visiting local office of Turkish airlines. On presenting ID and the card, they validated the booking and removed a tick from a box in their system with requirement to check the card. So, nobody asked me for the cards on check in, the same worked out for the parents. The solution was advised by Turkish airlines.

Good luck!

8. Re: Flying from Moscow Sheremetyevo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 10, 2009