We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some Visa Issues

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Some Visa Issues

I'm staying at the Hilton Leningradskaya in late July but am having some problems getting an 'invitation' from them as support for my Visa applications. I have no access to Fax facilities and thier website is inaccessible to me given that the only reference I have for my stay is my Expedia itinerary number which doesnt work.

I was intending to deliver my applications by hand to the VFS Global offices in London who have been dealing with such applications since February but cannot find out whether they can arrange this for me. Thier website helpdesk email address is invalid and thier phone line is premium rate and so I dont fancy talking to thier taped robots for 10 minutes at £1.50 per minute before getting through to a human operative!

If I get my Visa processed by Intourist travel agency in London the Visa costs jump from £75 to £125 all for the sake of this missing 'invitation' which is rather galling to say the least.

Can anyone advise me what to do as I must have my online forms submitted to VFS before the 19th of June.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some Visa Issues

As I understand the main problem is that you have no access to fax facilities and you trying to send them this form hilton.com/en/hotels/content/SVOHFHI/media/p… on their email Reservations@moscow-leningradskaya.ru?

But in this form they say:

'Please provide us with your fax number to send you a Fax Copy of your Visa Support Documents.'

I think that finding a fax facilities will solve the problem. Is it possible?

Or you can use Skype (IP-phone) to save on call rates - skype.com/intl/…listing-R

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some Visa Issues

I have No Fax facilities sadly.

Is there any way I can get such an invitation from another source ?

I have tried cancelling my holiday altogether but have been told by Expedia that this is not possible so I'll have to go and not only that have my Visa applications plus all the requisite documents submitted to VFS Global within the next two weeks.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some Visa Issues

Have you tried to email at Info.MoscowLeningradskaya@hilton.com?

I see that email in my first post is invalid.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
53,307 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some Visa Issues

First of all application for Russian visa was never supposed to be done by tourist/traveler. Your travel agent has to handle all this hassle - that was a general idea. See....

1/ Not all hotels in Moscow are authorized for issuing the *invitation*, even some very expensive are no GOOD for it ( for example Hyatt Ararat). About Hilton I have no idea.

2/ The problem is... all hotels that wish to accommodate foreign guests should be listed in *Ministry of Foreign Affairs official hotel list*. To get into that list the hotel must pay dearly to the Ministry, so not all even apply. The result you will figure out.... To get invitation from UNauthorized hotel is literally NOT possible because the Ministry is the authority that approves the invitation from your hotel.

3/ All that system with *invitation* is prehistoric for it works ONLY by fax application, e-mail they do not accept. Idiocy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4/ So your only way - to buy/rent fax machine, ask the hotel for invitation and HOPE that they are on the LIST. Otherwise even your fax machine will not save you.

5/ Resume - never apply for Russian visa on your own. Go to the agency. If they ask huge price you will have a picture FOR WHAT.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some Visa Issues

I hope Hilton is in list because they offer to complete the invitation request form I linked above.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
53,307 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some Visa Issues

May be, it is in the list (some comfort) but it does not make the application easier....

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some Visa Issues

Expedia dont deal with Visa issues sadly.

Looks like I'll have to get 'ripped off' at Intourist London again. Their charges have risen from £85 two years ago to £125 now.

With prices like these tacked on to an already pricey hotel stay I'm surprised anyone ever visits Russia. Its almost like they dont want you to come !

Thanks to all that responded.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
45 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some Visa Issues

Please don't cry too much about the amount. My son just paid $400 USD in Dubai to get his Visa for our upcoming trip. I had an easier time of it, paying $189 USD in the US.

I had no idea the Visa's would be so expensive when this all started, but I'm not going to let it spoil I'm trip. I'm really looking forward to it.

I understand your dismay, but you would lose much more from canceling your trip, so see if you can find some appreciation for the fact that Intourist will take care of all the details for you.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
45 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some Visa Issues

Please don't cry too much about the amount. My son just paid $400 USD in Dubai to get his Visa for our upcoming trip. I had an easier time of it, paying $189 USD in the US.

I had no idea the Visa's would be so expensive when this all started, but I'm not going to let it spoil I'm trip. I'm really looking forward to it.

I understand your dismay, but you would lose much more from canceling your trip, so see if you can find some appreciation for the fact that Intourist will take care of all the details for you.

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some Visa Issues

The Visa situation wont spoil it for me despite how I feel about it right now, but its always galling when you think you;ve found a luxury bargain break that turns out to be much less than one when it gets down to the bottom line.

I've wanted to visit Moscow all my life having grown up in the Cold War and having served in the RAF during it.

Were it not for my fascination with the capital city of what was once the 'other side' I'd doubt I would have decided to go.

I think you must REALLY want to go to Moscow given the financial and bureaucratic obstacles thier authorities deem necessary for you to endure in order for you to do so.

I dont doubt that I will really enjoy it when I'm there my wife isnt so sure though. I'm learning basic Russian phrases just now so what does that tell you about my enthusiasm for this upcoming trip ?!