We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visa registration in moscow

brisbane
Level Contributor
202 posts
1 review
Save Topic
visa registration in moscow

Having read reports of the police harassment

checking visa registration and fining people

want to check ...

if we start our trip in St Petersburg and get

the hotel to register our visas, do we have to do

it again when we check into our Moscow hotel.

Also will be there in mid October, what weather

can we expect.

Thanks

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,398 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visa registration in moscow

How long are you going to stay in each city? You are supposed to register within 3 working days of your arrival to a city. If you stay less in each city don't bother but just in case have the ticket with your arrival date on you. If you stay longer, your hotels should do the registration thing for you.

The weather in mid October can be cold, wet and nasty or it can be nice, relatively warm and sunny - one never knows...

brisbane
Level Contributor
202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: visa registration in moscow

Thanks,

we are staying 6 nights in

st pete and 5 nights in Moscow.

Understand the hotels will do this for us

but are you saying our visas need to be to registered in

both cities.

I guess we will just have to take our

chances with the weather. Cheers

Frankfurt
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visa registration in moscow

You don't have to worry if you are staying in a hotel - it's their responsibility to register you. I'm not sure what kind of proof of registration you'd get from them, but have you room key with you. I don't think you'd have troubles with the police if you look decent and don't get involved in fights :-)

As far as the weather is concerned - take something warm with you, just in case. And something against rain. I can remember first snow coming in late September - it didn't stay and probably would not happen for another 10 years, but it's better to be prepared.

brisbane
Level Contributor
202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: visa registration in moscow

Thanks AA09. All very helpful.

We feel the cold so will be prepared to

rug up.

Bartlesville...
Level Contributor
941 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visa registration in moscow

The general drill, when you check into a hotel, is that they will take your passport and tell you not to leave the hotel until your passport is returned to you. During that time, they will get you registered - usually takes 45 minutes to 1 hour - so you can check in, go to your room and freshen up, maybe have a drink, then return to the front desk, and normally your passport and registration will be there waiting for you. Not a difficult process. And since you will be staying more than 3 days in both places, you will need to go through the registration process in both cities. Actually, when we traveled to St. Pete (we used to live in Moscow), even if we were only going to be there for a day or two, I seem to recall that the hotel would still "register" us.

Weather will be cool, possibly cold, although not bitterly so. Be prepared for rain. Maybe you will be lucky and it will be neither cold nor wet, but you should be prepared for both.

brisbane
Level Contributor
202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: visa registration in moscow

Spyderwood, Thanks for your help.

If it is possible that our St Pete hotel will register

us for our entire stay, are we able then not to worry in

Moscow. Or do you recommend registering in both place

just to be sure

Also will our Moscow hotel be OK about registering us

even though our invitiation letter has come from our

St Petersburg hotel.

Sorry , but I have read so much and am pretty confused

and I do believe myself to be an intelligent person

London, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visa registration in moscow

The hotel in St Pete will not register you for the whole stay. Each time you check they register you, the hotel take your passport with visa and you get it back in about 1 hour. You also should get a receipt for the passport and take photocopies of the info page and visa before you leave home.

Bartlesville...
Level Contributor
941 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visa registration in moscow

Exactly, Fru. You are required to register in each city. It is not just a "Russian" registration. You must be registered for the city in which you are staying; therefore, you must separately register in both St. Pete and Moscow, but the hotels will take care of it.

brisbane
Level Contributor
202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: visa registration in moscow

Thanks, Spyderwood and Fru,

It's beginning to make sense now.

Final question ..... is the hotel in Moscow obliged to register our visas even though we got our invitation letters

from the St Petersburg hotel?

Bartlesville...
Level Contributor
941 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: visa registration in moscow

Yes, once you have a valid Russian visa, then the hotel will register you. You won't need to produce the invitation letter, in order to register in Moscow. Only your passport, with a valid Russian visa. So, to answer your question, yes the Moscow hotel will register you, even though the invitation letter used to get your visa was from the St. Pete hotel.