We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
182 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Just back

Arrived back today from Moscow, had four days and really enjoyed it. Half was business so we met some lovely people who showed us the sights and gave us lots of information which was good as its a BIG place!

Definately a must see place. Lovely people, great food and fantastic Baluga Vodka!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back

Since it is still fresh in your mind, what would you do or see if you had only one day in Moscow? We will have one day to spend there in July and it is impossible to extend our stay. What would you recommend we do with such a brief amount of time?

The Woodlands, Texas
Level Contributor
941 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back

I know you didn't ask me, and it always depends on one's preferences, but in one day, you can visit the Kremlin, Red Square, St. Basil's Cathedral (they are all located together) and Christ the Saviour Cathedral, as well as Arbat Street. Even with all that, you will have time for a nice meal or two and a drink in the evening. Red Square, Kremlin and St. Basil's are the "must-see" thing in Moscow. Nothing says "Russia" to a foreigner more than standing on Red Square in front of that iconic cathedral and taking it all in. Be sure to put the camera down long enough to really look at it and enjoy it. I've been to a lot of places around the world, and quite a few "must-see" sights have been a bit of a disappointment, but St. Basil's is just as grand (if not more so) as the pictures make it out to be. Finally, if you have time, take a ride on the Metro, and check out some of the staions in the city center.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back

Thanks for the suggestions! How about the armoury? If we can get tickets, would that also be a valuable use of our time?

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,046 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back

IMO the armory is priceless as well, but only with an English speaking guide. It's super cool either way I guess but the stories behind the artifacts are the priceless part. We had hired a retired History professor through our driver. $50 US.

Moscow
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back

Yeah, vodka Beluga is great, but it's not cheap :)

The Woodlands, Texas
Level Contributor
941 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back

Yes, actually, when I said "Kremlin," I was including the Armoury as a part of that experience. It is worth seeing. You can just show up at the main entrance and usually find an English-speaking tour, or you can arrange a private tour through a variety of services. When we lived in Moscow, we always used Patriarshy Dom tour company if we had out of town guests visiting. You can Google them and find their rates, hours, etc. They always had guides who were very fluent in English, well studied on the subject, and very easy to understand. You can arrange and reserve your tour via e-mail.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back

I am heading to Moscow on the 31st of March and will only have 2 1/2 days there. Staying a bit out of town at The Hotel Milan but plan to head into the city center to The Kremlin/Red Square ect. What else would you suggest and can you advise of any place good, but resonable, too eat in that area. Is it as dangerous as everyone (who has never been there) is telling me or is it like any other big city in the world where a little common sense and street smarts goes a long way?

Nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
182 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back

Hi CrazyC,

The best things to see have been mentioned above.We found the people so friendly if we stopped to ask questions, so we never felt safety was an issue.

We ate at restaurants about a mile from the Red Square so i cant really advise you on that.

Enjoy your trip!

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,046 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back

There is a chain called Il Patio which I ate at many times. They are all over, and usually attached to Rostik's (Think KFC). Near Red Square you will find many good places with English speaking help. There is Fridays and McDonalds if you must, but try not to!

The Woodlands, Texas
Level Contributor
941 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back

The safety issue in Moscow is very over-blown. Street crime is there, but as you said, if you use good sense, and have some basic street-smarts, you should be fine. The real safety issue is more related to traffic and the general lack of public safety awareness around construction sites (which are very common in the city center). Again, though, if you use your head, you shouldn't have a problem. Just be advised that while a pedestrian might actually have the right of way, many drivers don't seem to believe that rule applies to them.

As for a place to eat, if you want something a little more "Russian", I would suggest Glavpivtorg, which is located near the Lubyanka Metro station. It is walkable from Red Square - maybe 20 minutes. It was one of my favorites when we lived there.