We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lenin's Tomb

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Lenin's Tomb

Hi

I really want to see the Lenin's Tomb when i go to Moscow the first week in May. Someone posted on another thread they tried 5 times to go see it and couldn't - is it because its closed? or the lines too long? i know its only open certain days the week for around 4 hours.. Any suggestions or stories? I really want to do this

The Woodlands, Texas
Level Contributor
941 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lenin's Tomb

I lived there for several years, and could never figure out exactly when it was viewable and when it was not. The only advice I can give is to show up at the entry gate by 9:00 am. If they are there, and people are lining up, then it is open. If not, then it is not. Around 10:00 (assuming that it works like it did about a year ago - the last time I did it) they will start letting people through in groups of about 50. You can't take a camera into the mausoleum, so it's best not to take it with you. If you don't want to leave the camera at the hotel, you can check it at the desk, after they let you in through the gate.

los angeles
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lenin's Tomb

thank you!! i figure i will try it every morning while i am there and hopefully i get in hahah.. i hear its free but one person on tripadvisor said it was expensive- do you know ?

The Woodlands, Texas
Level Contributor
941 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lenin's Tomb

I don't remember paying anything, but even if we had to pay, it wasn't much. There is really no place to buy a ticket. You just stand in line, and they let you in. There might be a charge for the camera check, but even that is pretty cheap.

los angeles
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lenin's Tomb

cool- i will just leave my camera at the hotlel- i am staying at le national which i very close- so its not worth the bother to take it thanks again

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lenin's Tomb

Spyderwood is right, no cameras at all. No cell phones with cameras either? Lenins tomb is free. The (times open sign) is near the tomb, (a little to the right of the tomb if I remember right). The posted times mean nothing at all? Please note the line does not form in front of the tomb! It forms to the right of the big red building, (the first building you will see as you enter the square). The line is between this red building and the wall of the Kremlin. The red building is even more easy to spot as there will be many children lined up in front of it dropping coins on their heads, quoting something, as they spin around in a circle???? There is a cost to get into St Basils, (onion dome bldg). Also the Kremlin has a fee, as does the museum in the square. Kazinsky/kazansky church is free, and you can walk around inside of GUM free also.

los angeles
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lenin's Tomb

thanks for the description where the line is that helps alot!

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lenin's Tomb

It was always closed when we were there in 04.

St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lenin's Tomb

Official opening time 10-13 except Monday, Friday, Sunday + government events, parades, preparations for concerts and celebrations... Offically to be opened after April 19 after "body's maintenance". Enjoy the trip!

9. Re: Lenin's Tomb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, October 21, 2009