We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night train to St Petersburg

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Night train to St Petersburg

We've got a first class cabin booked on one of the night trains between Moscow and St Petersburg next week. Has anyone made the journey before? Is there anything we should know before we go? We're on Train 6 (Nikolay's Express?) - will it be reasonably safe? And, realistically, will we be able to get any sleep?

Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
112 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Night train to St Petersburg

I've taken several overnight trains from Petersburg to Moscow. I was in a second class cabin, and even there I felt entirely safe. If you and your travelling partner are together in a first class cabin, you should be perfectly fine. You'll have the cabin all to yourself, so after your ticket and passport are checked by the train attendant, you can lock the door while you sleep. I haven't been on train #6, but it should be pretty nice -- the nicest Russian trains are numbers 1-10. Your beds will probably already be made up for you when you get on the train.

I have trouble sleeping on the Pete-Moscow train because it's not actually that long a train ride. It's barely even seven hours, and since it takes a little while to show your ticket and get yourself all situated and sleepy, there isn't quite a full night left for sleeping. I think the beds on Russian trains are very comfortable--they're quite large, although perhaps a little bit hard. Your train car will have an attendant assigned to looking after the guests on just your car. They can be a little bit surly, but are generally rather helpful--she may ask you if you want to buy some cheap snacks, tea, or instant coffee. There is a hot water samovar at the end of the car that you can help yourself to. The train attendant's room is usually across from this--if you have a problem, you can knock on her door and she is required to help you. She probably won't speak English though. Usually at the other end (or sometimes at both ends) is your bathroom. This is the only bad part of the train -- even in first class the bathroom probably won't be too nice. I would advise against sitting directly on the toilet seat. The bathroom in the train station in Moscow isn't much better, alas.

Have a great trip!

Cheshire
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Night train to St Petersburg

Used this train in July 2007. Had a first class compartment on the 23.20 train (Nikolays Express) and loved evey minute of it. Felt completely safe, especially as each compartment comes with a device for locking the door from the inside. The train was very hot when we got on board but as soon as we were underway the air conditioning kicked in. It would have been a miserable journey without it. The beds are very comfortable if a bit narrow but the only thing that'll stop you getting a good nights sleep is the shortness of the journey. We did get woken a couple of times by the train coming to a stop for what felt like a change of points or something. Nothing that we couldn't get straight back to sleep from though.

We were told the on board bathroom would be locked until 40 minutes into the journey so used the facilities at the station in Moscow. The kindest description of either would be basic.

Top tip..... don't go to bed too quickly as the guard will be along with your complimentary botle of vodka once you are underway.

You'll really enjoy the experience. It's a great way to travel.

nice, 06 france
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Night train to St Petersburg

bonjour

took the train last year; it was very pleasant; had a compartment for myself, a bit of salami and vodka waiting for me and a very comfortable bed !

have a nice trip

michel

4. Re: Night train to St Petersburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, September 07, 2009