We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Availability of some English/Western grocery products

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Availability of some English/Western grocery products

Hi

I am travelling to Moscow in a week with my wife and our young son (18 months old)

We're happy ourselves to go "local" but are anxious to find out if a few products are readily available for our toddler - we're just a bit worried the trip itself in the middle of winter will be enough of a shock, we'd like to try and find some familiar foodstuffs so at least we're not fretting about him not eating

So the list of things we're trying to work out availability of is a bit odd, they are:

1. Pampers nappies (hoping this is a global brand)

2. Kellogg's Roce Krispies (ditto we hope)

3. Tinned spaghetti or spaghetti hoops

4. What's the milk like? Sterilised?

Many thanks

PP

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
47,954 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Availability of some English/Western grocery products

Unexpectedly funny question. LOL.

And first of all you should worry not about food in Russia but weather. Have you seen the forecast? Now it is smth like -20C!!!!!!!!! From my point of view it is hardly a weather to enjoy anything especially accompanied with toddler. Yet if you care for food only (FOOD GLORIOUS FOOD! - sorry I could not resist....)

1/ Pampers... Even polar bears on Moscow streets know the brand is global and where to buy them. No worry.

2/ All Kellogg`s breakfast line is not a problem. Yet made in Russia.

3/ Ridiculous to ask... better try buckwheat.

4/ Sterilized and pasteurized (long life UHT). Actually now Russians invent new funny rules about diary goods labeling (a crazy one) - for example UHT milk now has no right to carry a proud word MILK on its carton because the manufacturing process presupposes it to be produced of milk powder. LOL. It now called MILK DRINK.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,845 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Availability of some English/Western grocery products

> Have you seen the forecast? Now it is smth like -20C!

Where do you get such crazy forecasts? It's around 0 right now in Moscow and is not going to change much in a week.

Bartlesville...
Level Contributor
941 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Availability of some English/Western grocery products

There are several very nice grocery chains in Moscow, which carry an extensive inventory of "Western" and imported products, as well as high quality Russian goods. I believe that all the things you mention should be available at any Azbuka Vkusa, Stockmann, Sedmoi Kontinent, Globus Gormet or Perekriostok store, of which there are many in the city. I would say that Azbuka Vkusa, Stockmann and Sedmoi Kontinent are the most likely to have them all, in one spot. The only item which might be hard to find is the spaghetti, and I never ate such while I lived there, but I'm confident that it, too, will be available, if you look for it. The milk is fine, and safe - regardless of whether you buy the Western European imports or Russian domestic. We preferred the Russian brand of milk over the French imports, when we lived there. It's all good.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Availability of some English/Western grocery products

I know it might seem like an odd question, but if you've got kids you know how picky toddlers can be, we'll have enough hassle as it is with him in a strange place in winter, tantrums over food and then tantrums for being hungry I could do without

Thanks all

5. Re: Availability of some English/Western grocery products

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, October 14, 2009