We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Moscow to St. Petersburg

Bicester, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Train from Moscow to St. Petersburg

Hello

My friend and I are of to Moscow on the 15th June and want to take the overnight train to St Petersburg the following night. There are two of us and we'd like a private carriage. Can anyone advise what the best train to get is and will it be best to book in advance or to get the tickets when we arrive in Moscow? Bearing in mind we get there at 5pm on the Sunday night and want to take the train Monday night. Is it cheaper to get the tickets over there, I've had a look at some online agencies and the cheapest return ticket I can find is about £140. Will language be a problem as our Russian will be pretty limited!

Any advise/info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Liz

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Moscow to St. Petersburg

I went last May and booked the train through RealRussia.com. The site gives you all the information regarding time tables, names of trains etc, and were really helpful in booking tickets and sending them to you prior to your trip.

I chose the Red Arrow train which left at around midnight, and to get a private cabin you book first class, and have to say that the whole experience was wonderful

When you know the number of your train, its fairly straight forward and although each carriage has a porter, I didnt really need them at all, therefore limiting the amount of contact I had with them.

One word of warning, when you get to St Petersburg, and step outside of the station, you can be bombarded by taxi drivers, and as I found to my cost will charge an absolute fortune for in what in my case turned out to be a 5 minute trip.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Moscow to St. Petersburg

lizwil243

God! 140£ ?!?

They are natural gungsters!

I live in Saint-Petersburg & I travel to Moskow 5-6 times an year.

The cheapest way is train (or bus, but bus is not so comfortable - you will seat 9 hours). Night train 2-nd class ("platskart" - 8hrs 20 min) cost from 10 euro (one way). Your can sleep there (beds). 1-st class ("kupe", beds) or day speed trains (seats, 4.5-6 hrs) cost from 30 euro, business class (SV) cost about 90 euro, but THERE IS NO SUCH PRICES LIKE 140£!!!

Look the sites:

http://traintickets.ru/en/index.htm

www.avantix.ru/services/booking/railway/

http://www.railwayticket.ru/index_eng.php

You pay a comission for booking service 150-350 roubles (4-10 euro)

Your also can travel SPB-Moskow by flight. I prefered it. Air companies:

www.skyexpress.ru

www.s7.ru

www.pulkovo.ru

www.utair.ru

www.transaero.ru

www.aeroflot.ru

average cost of flight ticket (one way) 3000 roubles

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Moscow to St. Petersburg

They are not at all gangsters - you have got obsolete prices for trains: I have just bought a one way ticket in the 3rd class for 25 euros...

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Moscow to St. Petersburg

2 veresch

I don't know where you bought 3-d class for 25 euro, but let you look prices, for example, train №051/052:

http://traintickets.ru/spbmsk.htm

P.S.

И что такое 3-й класс, что ты под этим подразумеваешь, плацкарт? Цены конечно подросли, согласен, но не настолько... (где было 350 руб там стало 550, не более того

Bicester, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Moscow to St. Petersburg

Thanks for all the info. I think we've finally sorted our tickets out.

Can anyone tell me whether Leningrad Station in Moscow haS lockers that you can leave your luggage in for the day - i.e. left lugagge department?

On our return to Russia we shall only be there for thee day before flying home that evening so will need somewhere to leave our luggage so we can get out and do some last minute sight seeing.

Thanks

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Moscow to St. Petersburg

The left-luggage office is situated at the right side of Leningradskiy station (www.piter-photo.ru/images/462d9058a530a.jpg). Entry from outside. Price is about 100 roubles per day per bag

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
167 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Moscow to St. Petersburg

Lizwil, I'm trying to do the same - overnight train from Moscow to St Petersburg. Where did you book your tickets and how much did they cost?

London, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Moscow to St. Petersburg

Yes please, where did you book your tickets?

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
44 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Moscow to St. Petersburg

I travelled with Lizwil - we got the tickets from nordic travel in the end for €135 each way, also arranged a transfer from the airport with them and the driver brought the tickets with him.

One thing to note: we thought the train would be a good way to travel as it would give us the maximum time in each city and save on a hotel room, but in actual fact we got no sleep and had to waste most of the first day in St Ps sleeping the second we could check into our hotel!

ATHENS
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Moscow to St. Petersburg

Hello

Is it possible to give us more details regarding your train trip? Such us departure and arrival time, train, class. What cause the problems ? Finally, was language a problem to you?