We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what Currency Shall I take?

UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
what Currency Shall I take?

Hi

We're off to Moscow for the first time next month and was wondering what is the best currency to take? I would normally take GBP and exchange to local currency but have been told that GBP is harder to exchange and best to take Euro or US$

Thanks

Bartlesville...
Level Contributor
941 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what Currency Shall I take?

Most of the exchange booths around town advertise rates for all three currencies, GBP, Euro and Dollars. I suppose there are a few that prefer one currency or another, but you shouldn't have any problems with GBP, and why pay the exchange fees twice. I would not recommend bringing a lot of cash in. If you have an ATM card, simply use that. ATM's are everywhere in Moscow and St. Pete, and also in the smaller cities. I think you would have to venture pretty far afield to find a town that didn't have at least one. I've been using them for years and have never had a problem with security or fraud, so based on my experience, they are safe to use. By withdrawing rubles at the ATM's, your bank will likely give you a better exchange rate than the various exhange offices around town.

If you should decide to bring cash, be aware of the limits for reporting cash upon entry/exit and also the duty for excess amounts of cash. Last time I looked, you were supposed to report and pay duty on amounts over USD 10,000. There are some who say that you must report (without duty) any amount over USD 3,000, and others who say you only have to report that upon exit. I'm not sure, but if you plan to carry over USD 3,000 (approx GBP 1,500), you might want to find out.

UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what Currency Shall I take?

Thats great thanks for the info. We're only there for 3 nights so will do as you recommend bit of cash plus an atm card.

Manchester
Level Contributor
80 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what Currency Shall I take?

I wondered the same thing to be honest, however, not in regards to changing money.

Is it better to have US$ or Rubbles to spend in Moscow?

Bartlesville...
Level Contributor
941 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what Currency Shall I take?

Better to spend rubles. Many places won't accept dollars, or anything else, besides rubles - it's technically illegal (or at least, so I've been told) for them to conduct their business in other currencies, although some people do it.

5. Re: what Currency Shall I take?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, September 26, 2009