We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile Phones & Sim Cards - Purchase Locations

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Mobile Phones & Sim Cards - Purchase Locations

Can I purchase a mobile phone or sim card at the DME airport? If not, are there mobile shops readily accessible via metro in central Moscow? I have a quadband phone and I would either want to purchase a sim for use while in Moscow or simply purchase a prepaid phone there. I would want to do this possibly the day I fly in to stay in touch with friends back home and my landlord in Moscow. Please advise.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile Phones & Sim Cards - Purchase Locations

It has been years since I have been at DME, but SVO has phone equipment for sale located in the main lobby. In Moscow you will find cell phone shops everywhere. The last time I was there you would think that Russians only buy cell phones and shoes as there was one of these shops everywhere. You will have no problems finding phones & or cards!

Chicago
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile Phones & Sim Cards - Purchase Locations

Thanks.

I am assuming I can just buy a pre-paid sim card, correct?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile Phones & Sim Cards - Purchase Locations

Yes, my step daughter bought them there several times. And they all worked!

Moscow
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile Phones & Sim Cards - Purchase Locations

DME has at least 2 or 3 mobile phone/sim card shops - look for a bright yellow Euroset stand. Cards are sold separately from phones, so problem in buying a prepaid card.

Moscow
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile Phones & Sim Cards - Purchase Locations

oops... i meant NO problem in buying a prepaid card

sorry

Drexel Hill
Level Contributor
220 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile Phones & Sim Cards - Purchase Locations

Can someone tell me what's teh best way to stay connected while in Russia? With our guide and driver and with folks at home in the USA? How do people typically do this?

Do we bring our regular phones and buy a sim card upon arrival? Do we activate the international feature with our local carrier to do the job (expensive!), what are the typical preferences?

7. Re: Mobile Phones & Sim Cards - Purchase Locations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, September 18, 2009