We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

domodedovo airport to Luhzniki stadium

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tonbridge Kent
Level Contributor
18 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
domodedovo airport to Luhzniki stadium

Hi all, I am arriving at Domodedovo airport at 16.00 on wednesday for the england match that kicks off at 19.00 so by the time I get through immigration very tight. Can anyone advise whether a cab would be the best route to the ground as I have heard Moscow traffic is a nightmare?

Thanks Ian

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: domodedovo airport to Luhzniki stadium

Hi,

Do your best to avoid taxis, buses and mini-bus shuttles! In the days when great football matches take place in Moscow usual nightmare traffic turns into collapse traffic! Use railway instead: there is the railway station at the Domodedovo airport with quite comfortable express trains (‘aeroexpress’- http://www.spectrum.ru/aeroexpress1.shtml (in Russian)). Starts from DME at 17.00; 18.00; 19.30, … etc. It takes 40 minutes to Paveletskiy Vokzal (railway station)/Paveletskaya metro, from where by metro you can get Luzhniki in 20 minutes. Take brown (circular) line from Paveletskaya to Park Kultury (3rd stop), then take red line from Park Kultury to Sportivnaya (2nd stop), and here you are, Luzhniki Stadium.

There are no English/Latin signs in the Moscow metro (almost), so if you are not familiar with Russian ABC, I would recommend you to get the metro plan from Internet, for example http://www.expat.ru/metromap.php

Good luck.

Moscow
Level Contributor
489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: domodedovo airport to Luhzniki stadium

A punishing schedule....

A taxi could do if you weren't to go to football, but it is a very long and congested road from Domodedovo to the city and hell will break loose on the roads on Wednesday anyway, with lots of government officials and political dignitaries expected to attend the qualifier (not to mention the snow and sleet that has already fallen on Moscow and wreaked the usual havoc).

You've got to brace yourself for a huge crush on the metro as well (in addition perhaps to a drunken football yob).

When you tell anyone the word "Staadion" or "Luzhniki" down in the metro, they will show you the way to the right platform and the right train / direction.

When you get out out at Sportivnaya (only one exit will be open and there will be huge crowds going in the same direction anyway so you won't get lost), the trip is not yet over. It will still be around a mile to the stadium itself, with several security cordons and body searches en route (which means recurrent waiting lines).

Give it another 40 minutes to an hour perhaps (or am I being overly optimistic?).

You're lucky if they arrange a special security corridor for the visitors, however; then you'll obviously be on a fast lane.

When you reach the stadium, go left round it (it is where the D stands reserved for the visitors are located).

There will be a hassle on every step of the way (security, soldiers and all), which is why I myself stay away from national games, despite having a Spartak season ticket.

Sorry for being a killjoy, but I will be very surprised if you make it on time. Try to get on an earlier plane if at all possible.

3. Re: domodedovo airport to Luhzniki stadium

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, September 10, 2009