Baggen and OleGo have provided me with excellent train and ticket-buying information for my journey from Moscow to Novgorod where I plan to stay a couple of days before taking a bus to St. Petersburg.
But now, new problems for which I could surely use solutions or suggestions have arisen. After reading many of Pasca's posts to others, I wrote both the Hotel Volkov and the Red Izba (the tourist office of Veliky Novgorod), but unfortunately have had no responses. Can anyone help with these questions?
1. Does the Hotel Volkov allow for early check-in? (My train from Moscow to Novgorod would arrive at 5:50 a.m.)
2. Or, does that hotel hold one's luggage during the morning of one's arrival?
3. Or, are there luggage-lockers for rent at the train station?
4. Is the main train station ("Novgorod na Volhove" -- thanks, Baggen) the one near the bus station for buses going to St. Petersburg?
5. If the main train station is the one I see near a bus station (I'm using the map on the Novgorod tourist-information website), I assume one can walk to/from the Hotel Volkov and both the "na Volhove" train station and the bus station. Does anyone know if I'm right about that?
Naturally, I don't want to waste the first morning in Novgorod messing with luggage. And, at this point in my planning, I could reverse my trip in which case, I'd go to St. Petersburg first, take a morning bus to Novgorod so that I'd arrive closer to the hotel check-in time, and then, after a day or two, take the night train to Moscow.
The reversal involves much re-studying of museum, etc. open days etc., but that's, of course, doable.
Thanks for any help on any of my long list of questions.