We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip -- Moscow to Novgorod to St. Petersburg

Which Moscow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
RTx
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Trip -- Moscow to Novgorod to St. Petersburg

Baggen and OleGo have provided me with excellent train and ticket-buying information for my journey from Moscow to Novgorod where I plan to stay a couple of days before taking a bus to St. Petersburg.

But now, new problems for which I could surely use solutions or suggestions have arisen. After reading many of Pasca's posts to others, I wrote both the Hotel Volkov and the Red Izba (the tourist office of Veliky Novgorod), but unfortunately have had no responses. Can anyone help with these questions?

1. Does the Hotel Volkov allow for early check-in? (My train from Moscow to Novgorod would arrive at 5:50 a.m.)

2. Or, does that hotel hold one's luggage during the morning of one's arrival?

3. Or, are there luggage-lockers for rent at the train station?

4. Is the main train station ("Novgorod na Volhove" -- thanks, Baggen) the one near the bus station for buses going to St. Petersburg?

5. If the main train station is the one I see near a bus station (I'm using the map on the Novgorod tourist-information website), I assume one can walk to/from the Hotel Volkov and both the "na Volhove" train station and the bus station. Does anyone know if I'm right about that?

Naturally, I don't want to waste the first morning in Novgorod messing with luggage. And, at this point in my planning, I could reverse my trip in which case, I'd go to St. Petersburg first, take a morning bus to Novgorod so that I'd arrive closer to the hotel check-in time, and then, after a day or two, take the night train to Moscow.

The reversal involves much re-studying of museum, etc. open days etc., but that's, of course, doable.

Thanks for any help on any of my long list of questions.

moscow
Level Contributor
518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip -- Moscow to Novgorod to St. Petersburg

Hi, ChickasawRTx,

The name of your hotel in Volhov, it is the name of the river in Novgorod.

1. You can have an early check-in if they have room. if they do not, you will have to wait.

2. Yes, they will hold your luggage, everybody does that.

3. Central Novgorod is rather small, you can walk from place to place, no problem.

4. In Russia only bigger international chain hotels answer by mail. for smaller places like Volhov is it is alwasy better to call.

5. There is another hotel in Novgorod - Beresta palace. It is more expensive, farther from the center, but if you do manage to get in touch with Volhov, Beresta will help for shure. These guys will take your luggage and try to check you in as early as possible. My experience with them is that they are very helpful.

Enjoy your trip

RTx
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip -- Moscow to Novgorod to St. Petersburg

Hello Pupsa!

Thank you so very much for your wonderfully detailed and informative responses to my questions. I now feel absolutely comfortable with the VOLHOV (sorry about that 'K") and Novgorod. You experts are invaluable, and I greatly appreciate your willingness to give your time and share your knowledge.

3. Re: Trip -- Moscow to Novgorod to St. Petersburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 05, 2009