We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domodedovo Airport to Mercure Moscow Arbat Hotel

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
220 posts
18 reviews
Domodedovo Airport to Mercure Moscow Arbat Hotel

This is our first visit to Russia, and 3 of us will be arriving at Domodedovo Airport on 27th Dec at 2.30pm.

What is the best (and most economical) way to get to the Mercure Moscow Arbat hotel?

Is it feasable to take the airport express train and then a taxi, or should we book a car direct from the airport to the hotel.

Thank you

12 replies to this topic
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
258 reviews
1. Re: Domodedovo Airport to Mercure Moscow Arbat Hotel

What is the best (and most economical) way...

>>>

No such thing exists, ever - either this, or that.

http://www.dme.ru/en/passengers/transport/

Moscow Oblast...
8 posts
2. Re: Domodedovo Airport to Mercure Moscow Arbat Hotel

It would be cheaper to get a taxi. Please download Yandex taxi app or Uber or Citimobil.

The airport express train will cost 500 RUB/ one person or 950RUB/4 people.

https://aeroexpress.ru/en/aero/prices.html

Then you will need the taxi which will cost about 400 RUB

The taxi from DME will cost about 1200-1500 RUB. In December there're huge traffic jams due to the weather and New Year. The taxi trip can take 2 or 3 hours.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Domodedovo Airport to Mercure Moscow Arbat Hotel

Take a taxi... To make it cheaper get a SIM on arrival, preinstall Yandex.Taxi and Gett and choose the cheaper offer. The road might be long, as it is one of the last days of pre-holiday rush...

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
499 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Domodedovo Airport to Mercure Moscow Arbat Hotel

In the DME baggage claim area, there are automatic Gett taxi order desks. This June the route to the center of Moscow was worth 1090 rubles.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
220 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Domodedovo Airport to Mercure Moscow Arbat Hotel

Thank you for your replies.

Taxi may be cost effective for us, but in terms of time, if we strike these traffic jams it could take 2-3 hours.

If the train takes about 45 minutes, and is 950 rubles, and a taxi from the station to the hotel about 400 rubles, for the difference in the time we would save, we would be much better to take this option. When I convert this, it is not expensive at all.

Are these traffic problems likely to be in the city as well, i.e. is a journey listed on google maps at about 10 minutes likely to take an hour?

If we were to attempt the metro, would this be difficult with our luggage in terms of stairs etc. I know this would involve a change of lines on the way. We are reasonably well travelled, and used to taking the underground with luggage in London etc.

I would rather not spend 3 hours getting in, (plus the time to get out of immigration & customs). At that rate we may not arrive at the hotel until 7 pm. After our 24 hour flight, it would be nice to be able to actually get out and be able to have a bit of a look around Moscow when we arrive.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Domodedovo Airport to Mercure Moscow Arbat Hotel

Actually, you do need to make a decision right now. Traffic on Dec 27th could be easy or not, but you can easily determine that via Google/Yandex maps as you arrive. So you can choose between taxi from airport and train+taxi... I usually do exactly this...

Enjoy!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
499 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Domodedovo Airport to Mercure Moscow Arbat Hotel

In fact, along the entire path, except the center, there are bus-lines that use taxis, too

Korolev, Russia
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Domodedovo Airport to Mercure Moscow Arbat Hotel

2 Jill P "Are these traffic problems likely to be in the city as well, i.e. is a journey listed on google maps at about 10 minutes likely to take an hour?"

Forget about Google in Russia. Russian applications Yandex.Maps and Yandex.navigator are specially adapted for Russia and show online traffic (the update frequency is 30 seconds) and much more accurately calculate the travel time from point A to point B.

Also the Yandex.Transport application allows you to accurately calculate the route using public transport taking into account the current location of all ground transport units. This application can also indicate that when a taxi ride will be faster than public transportation. :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
220 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: Domodedovo Airport to Mercure Moscow Arbat Hotel

Thanks again for your replies.

I have now downloaded the Yandex app and have had a look at that. I note there is also a Tram (?) No 5 (if I've put in the correct stations) that goes from the station to near the hotel, so that may also be an option as it does not require a change.

Cheers

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
499 posts
26 reviews
10. Re: Domodedovo Airport to Mercure Moscow Arbat Hotel

This is probably the bus route, denoted by the Russian letter Б, but not 5.

Reply to: Domodedovo Airport to Mercure Moscow Arbat Hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted