We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sane way to visit Suzdal from Moscow?

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
567 posts
349 reviews
Save Topic
Sane way to visit Suzdal from Moscow?

Last year when we visited Moscow, we did the most popular things: Kremlin, Red Square/GUM/St. Basil's, Moscow River Cruise, bus tour, Sergiyev Posad, and Yaroslavl (the latter on our river cruise on the way to St. Petersburg). One thing I'd like to do, probably on the Monday when we'll be there (when the museums will be closed) would be a visit to Suzdal. Most of the tours I've found want to charge a good $400 for 2 people, but it seems that maybe we can do this by train and taxi. It looks as though we can take the Lastochka at 9:30 AM arriving in Vladimir at 11:14 AM, then taking a taxi to Suzdal. I guess I would just ask something like "Сколько рублей в Суздальский кремль?"? Then coming back we can take the Strijh which leaves Vladimir at 17:59 and arrives in Moscow at 19:41. On the way back, ask a taxi driver "Сколько рублей на вокзал Владимира?" Does that sound like a reasonable plan? Are the sights in Suzdal all reasonably close together?

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Sergiyev Posad
Sergiyev Posad
Sergiyevo-Posadsky District, Russia
Yaroslavl
Yaroslavl
Yaroslavl Oblast, Russia
St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg
Northwestern District, Russia
Suzdal
Suzdal
Suzdalsky District, Russia
Vladimir
Vladimir
Vladimir Oblast, Russia
12 replies to this topic
Korolev, Russia
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sane way to visit Suzdal from Moscow?

Yandex taxi works perfectly in Vladimir. The approximate cost of the trip is 600-700 rubles.

https://taxi.yandex.com/?lang=en#index

Mentioned in this post
Vladimir
Vladimir
Vladimir Oblast, Russia
Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sane way to visit Suzdal from Moscow?

Gett as well is operating. There are earlier trains to Vladimir and later from Vladimir. Your plan is surely doable. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Vladimir
Vladimir
Vladimir Oblast, Russia
Moscow
Level Contributor
390 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sane way to visit Suzdal from Moscow?

Every 30 min there is a direct bus to Suzdal costing 90 rubles. Takes around 40 minutes - 30 km ride. The stop is few meters from the railway station in Vladimir.

Mentioned in this post
Suzdal
Suzdal
Vladimir
Vladimir
Vladimir Oblast, Russia
Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
6,319 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sane way to visit Suzdal from Moscow?

Don’t be penny wise and pound foolish - take a taxi...also, the entirety of Suzdal, it being truly a little town, is easily walkable. Ideally, as stated by our excellent Russian expert, try to use an app-based service. Yandex is the biggest and likely more “reliable”...

Mentioned in this post
Suzdal
Suzdal
Moscow
Level Contributor
390 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sane way to visit Suzdal from Moscow?

Just to compare more options, there is a direct bus from Moscow costing RUR600, and now from Moscow they offer a helicopter ride to Suzdal. But a regular tour usually also include sites in Vladimir

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Suzdal
Suzdal
Vladimir
Vladimir
Vladimir Oblast, Russia
Moscow Oblast...
Level Contributor
336 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sane way to visit Suzdal from Moscow?

Bus station in Suzdal is not located in the center, you'll have to walk 1 - 1,5 km. Not the best way to spend your time there.

Mentioned in this post
Suzdal
Suzdal
Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
567 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sane way to visit Suzdal from Moscow?

Thanks for the wonderful advice. I just uploaded Yandex and Gett on my i-phone. I also have a Cyrillic keyboard on the phone, so I should be able to enter addresses. Vasily mentioned "There are earlier trains to Vladimir and later from Vladimir." Is my itinerary not allowing enough time in Suzdal? I don't want to catch an earlier train to Vladimir, but I wouldn't mind taking a later train if we're not allowing for enough time. The next trains are a Lastochka leaving 20:15, arriving 22:10, and a Strizh leaving 20:54, arriving 22:35. I seem to be gathering that one can buy food on the Strizh, but not on the Lastochka. Correct? Or, I guess if we'd be leaving later, probably have dinner near the train station in Vladimir. The Russian Railways site shows some very bizarre pricing for the Strizh. They list the 2nd class seat as $39.10 and the 1st class seat for $40.59. Who wouldn't pay an extra $1.49? The following train, the much slower Volga, shows pricing of $42.53 for 3rd class, $48.46 for 2nd class, and $78.96 for 1st class. Why would the slower train be more expensive? Are prices for trains in Russia determined by the amount of time you spend on the train, rather than by distance and train quality?

Mentioned in this post
Vladimir
Vladimir
Vladimir Oblast, Russia
Suzdal
Suzdal
Russia
Russia
Europe
Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sane way to visit Suzdal from Moscow?

You can also walk through Vladimir, and surely have a proper dinner there. As for train pricing - Volga probably has bunk beds, not seats. Generally, the pricing of trains reflects demand, like flight tickets; and might well happen 2nd class sold more than first. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Vladimir
Vladimir
Vladimir Oblast, Russia
Moscow Oblast...
Level Contributor
336 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sane way to visit Suzdal from Moscow?

There are some interesting museums in Suzdal too, but they close at 6 p.m., sometimes even earlier. It seems more reasonable to take an early morning train, than a late evening one.

Mentioned in this post
Suzdal
Suzdal
Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
6,319 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sane way to visit Suzdal from Moscow?

Regardless of market based pricing oddities...take the Express...your time is too precious to waste taking what I have to think is a quite slow train with many stops, and wasting maybe an hour in this manner...

Reply to: Sane way to visit Suzdal from Moscow?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted