We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Travel Report: A Day In Moscow

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
My Travel Report: A Day In Moscow

I had a 22 hrs layover in Moscow. I did many things during my short stay. It was sort of a Russian adventure. Here's my detailed report of my stay: https://www.anindiantraveler.com/2018/04/my-…

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
13 replies to this topic
Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Travel Report: A Day In Moscow

Read your report with great interest, BUT...i would strongly urge folks not to blindly follow your advice to make sure you carry your actual passport with you. This topic has been hashed thru here many, many times, and the conclusion most have come to is better to make a copy of your passport and visa page and have it on you. The reason for this for someone actually STAYING in Moscow is that there is likely a higher chance of having your passport stolen than getting stopped by REAL police, and IF the former happens, you can kiss goodbye maybe a full day as you run around to embassy and then Russian offices to get a replacement, visa, migration card, etc. We can debate this, but I only suggest one study this issue more thoroughly before making a decision.

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Vladivostok, Russia
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Travel Report: A Day In Moscow

That said, I've always carried my passport with me in Moscow (in fact, that's my normal practice everywhere), and never had any bad experiences.

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: My Travel Report: A Day In Moscow

@Ebertsj Firstly, I am not advising anyone through my post. I am sharing my experiences. I have not mentioned anywhere "Follow My Itinerary Or Do What I Do".

Secondly, I am agree with you on keeping xerox copies of passport and visa copy instead of carry the original passport everywhere.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,807 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Travel Report: A Day In Moscow

Well, with just 23 hours on your hands that's quite a lot to achieve

After certain corrections a very sensible report.

Good for you!

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Travel Report: A Day In Moscow

Did not mean to be so “mean”...it is just that a fair number of folks visiting us here would in fact take this as advice. But, agree you indeed set a record for things seen and done...I am a wee bit older and would take my literally days to do this!

As for the post of someone saying they always carry it, I THINK you are from Russia, and as such, while maybe indeed you have not had any issues with theft, the consequences for a TOURIST having to deal with this when they have limited time and ZERO knowledge of what to do if this happens, and flights to make back home, etc. are disastrous.

Mentioned in this post
Russia
Russia
Europe
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Travel Report: A Day In Moscow

Ebertsj, yes that is very good advice!

The consequences of losing your passport in Moscow as a tourist would be very serious, as you would also lose your visa!

I would imagine lots of stress, lost flights, frantic calls to your workplace and a few tears would be involved. I wouldn't wish it on anyone!

We took pictures of our visa, migration card and passports on our Smartphones and carried that around, as well as photocopies of the passport/visa.

Our passports were safely stashed in the luggage in our hotel room.

In reality the police/security forces totally ignored us and we were never asked once to show ID. We did notice police stopping migrant workers in Red Square, but the chance of a tourist being mistaken for someone from Tajikistan I would imagine is zero. There were lots of Chinese tourists for instance and we never saw them questioned by police either.

Mentioned in this post
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Travel Report: A Day In Moscow

I was a little bit severe...my only excuse was I had also read an otherwise very nice article on "21 Things to Know About Russia"...which specifically said "make sure you always have your passport with you". While the rest of the "advice" there as pretty sound, and fairly up to date, this one was not good...yet, again, a lot of folks would read these "tips" and follow them.

But, again, my apologies to our wonderful, energetic Indian traveler!

Mentioned in this post
Russia
Russia
Europe
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: My Travel Report: A Day In Moscow

If you dont have passport - dont ask police for directions.

in fact, Russians didn't like the police, and try to avoid them.

Edited: 5:32 pm, June 08, 2018
Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My Travel Report: A Day In Moscow

I don’t carry a passport, and frequently ask police for help...never had a problem...always got a nice, smiling response. Maybe they are kinder to old, pudgy tourists like me?

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: My Travel Report: A Day In Moscow

@ebertsj I was not being mean, Just putting across my point of view. Anyways, thanks for the appreciation. Happy and safe travels. cheers!

Reply to: My Travel Report: A Day In Moscow
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted