We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving to Russia from USA

usa-chicago
1 post
moving to Russia from USA

Does anyone know what it takes to live and become a Russian citizen? I am first generation American, my father was born in Russia, and I would like to live in Russia permanently. Thank you for your help.

Nina

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: moving to Russia from USA

Contact any Russian embassy to ask. I do know that it is much more easy and faster if you are married to a Russian citizen, or at least have close relatives there. I would suggest that you travel to your fathers native town or village. If your father is alive? Have him go with you. If will be much more easy if he is or still has his registration at an address in Russia. If he does, he can maybe kind of sponsor you in? When there go to the local passport office with someone who can speak Russian. The time frame can take quite a wile, but $100.00 to (expedite your application) can speed things up by quite a bit. Russia is a mafia state, (still to this date) and you can get anything done for $$$$. But make sure that even if you do have it expedited, that your passports are real and legal. I have seen their prisons. You don't want to be in one. You may be nostalgic for Russia. But go there a few times before making the huge leep my friend. My wife is full blood Russian (Rostov-na-Donu), and we have thought of doing the same as you!!!! But what would we do for a job????

Tudela
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: moving to Russia from USA

You don´t necesary have to become a Russian citizenship to live in Russia. there are lots of foreigners who have got a Russian residence and they´re okay living there. So, you can get the residence first and after some time you will see if you want to become russian. By that time you will find out how to get the russian residence.

Good luck!

3. Re: moving to Russia from USA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, October 01, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Kostroma