We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MacArthur Landing in a day

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
MacArthur Landing in a day

I have this rush thing to get a high res pic of Gen. MacArthur's landing site in Leyte. I might need to rush in a out of Leyte in a day and would have to plan on the fastest way, AMAZING RACE style of flying into Leyte from Manila, take pictures of the MacArthur statues and back to Manila in a day!

Any idea on how far this landmark is from the airport and the fastest way to go there and back to the airport quickly? And which airline (re: sched) could fly me in and out the fastest with just enough time in between for me to go to this MacArthur site?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MacArthur Landing in a day

Hello

I have not flown into Tacloban since 2001. There were no taxis at that time and I am presuming there are still no taxis. To get around, you just make a deal with a tricycle driver.

The monument is in Palo wich is a completely different town to Tacloban but because of expansion it is hard to tell where Tacloban ends and Palo begins.

In any case, just tell the tricycle driver to take you there. My guesstimate is 30 minutes at the most from the airport.

Cebu Pacific and Philippine Airlines both fly to Tacloban. Their websites are here:

http://www.cebupacificair.com

http://www.philippineairlines.com

I hope this helps

Regards: Jim Sibbick

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: MacArthur Landing in a day

I visited Mc Arhur's monument in Palo, Leyte 3 years ago. I think it's riight beside a hotel, not too sure if it's Leyte Park Hotel or Mc Arthur Park Hotel, not even sure if I got the hotel name right. I think it took us roughly 30 miniutes from Tacloban City to the monument since we had brief stops at the Leyte provincial Capitol and the RTR medical center. From the airport to Tacloban City will take about 10 to 15 minutes as far as I can remember. You can arrange for a van at the airport upon arrival

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MacArthur Landing in a day

Thanks for your replies!

So it can be confirmed that what I need to do can be done within a day?

Would really appreciate any feedback from anyone who have travelled to Leyte recently, and if there are tips and suggestions that would help me plan my task to and from Tacloban airport, hope you could help me out. I have a few days left to map out a plan...

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
219 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MacArthur Landing in a day

Hi Impulsetraveller!

As I frequently travel to Leyte, you can surely get what you want in a day even with a nap and swim at the beach. The airport which is in San Jose, Tacloban City is about 7 kilometers to the McArthur Landing site which is in the town of Palo, just next after Tacloban City.

This landing site is just beside the McArthur Park Beach Resort where you can take a rest. You don't need to rush your work if you take the early flight at 6 am via Philippine Airlines or 6:10 am via Cebu Pacific since the last flight in the afternoon for Tacloban-Manila is 1:10 pm via Cebu Pacific or 2:55 pm. via Philippine Airlines. So, you still have plenty of time to roam around Tacloban or even get to the beautiful San Juanico Bridge. Traffic is no worry, it doesn't exist in the area.

At the airport you can take a jeepney going to downtown Tacloban with signboard 'Downtown' then drop at the Coca-Cola plant at the intersection of the road from the airport and the main highway going to the city center. You don't need to go to the city center.

From here (Coca-Cola), you can ride jeepney going to Palo with signboard 'Palo' or 'Tanauan' or 'Tolosa' then drop at the intersection near the downtown of Palo. The fare is more or lesst 7.50 pesos every ride. From here, you can take a tricycle going to McArthur Park. The fare is about P30 pesos for special ride.

There is however a jeepney plying Tacloban-McArthur Park but the terminal is in the downtown not at the airport. The route of the jeepney that plies direct is not at the main highway but at the diversion road, you might get lost your way. No taxis at the airport but special jeepney ride at 400 pesos or about $8.

Here's the flight sched:

MANILA-TACLOBAN

Cebu Pacific

First Flight

Depart Manila - 6:10am

Arrive Tacloban - 7:20am

Second Flight

Depart Manila - 11:30am

Arrive Tacloban - 14:40nn

Philippine Airlines

First Flight

Depart Manila - 6:00am

Arrive Tacloban - 7:15am

Second Flight

Depart Manila - 1:00pm

Arrive Tacloban - 2:15pm

TACLOBAN-MANILA

Cebu Pacific

First Flight

Depart Tacloban - 7:50am

Arrive Manila - 9:00am

Second Flight

Depart Tacloban - 1:10pm

Arrive Manila - 2:20pm

Philippine Airlines

First Flight

Depart Tacloban - 8:05am

Arrive Manila - 9:15am

Second Flight

Depart Tacloban - 2:55pm

Arrive Manila - 4:05pm

I hope that helps. Thanks.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MacArthur Landing in a day

Thanks so much marletbadeo for giving all the info I need! Might be flying to Leyte either Saturday or Sunday next week. Will have to figure out my other task involving Mayon Volcano (still waiting for replies on my other post).

Thanks a lot!