We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

golf vacation to Cebu

Portland , Oregon
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
golf vacation to Cebu

I live in Portland Oregon and am thinking of traveling to Cebu to play some golf and possibly check out the night life scene a bit. I would be traveling by myself and am wondering if bringing something like golf clubs would be manageable or difficult. Also are there inexpensive hotels near golf courses that allow the public to play?

Mentioned in this post
fairfield...
Level Contributor
900 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: golf vacation to Cebu

Mikeyrllr,

....I've played the courses in Cebu City and Danao. First of all, depending whether you really are a golf fanatic, bringing you own sets of clubs is a must. If not and your intention is just to play a couple of rounds, then the individual golf courses may have rental sets. I travel with my own sets anywhere I go!

....With that said, here are the courses I've played in Cebu City and vicinity.

Mactan International Golf and Country Club - long, flat, lined with trees, various water hazards, challenging for long ball hitters. Par 72.

Cebu Country Club - flat, long, Par 72, carabao grass. The last time I played there was like playing in a cow pasture. It was not well kept. I'd give this a pass.

Alta Vista Golf and Country Club - short, hilly mountain course, undulating fairways. Well kept, breathtaking views of ocean, bay, Mactan, Bohol ( you can see Chocolate Hills from some of the tee boxes). Par 72 but to me, it plays more like Par 70. I recommend this golf course - coldest SM Light in the Clubhouse! (and some good-looking Caddies! Ah-hha!!). My favorite course in Cebu.

Club Filipino Golf Club - in Danao, about an hour drive from Cebu City. Very long, hilly, mountainous, very challenging, par 72.

....as for accommodations in Cebu, I stayed at Quest Hotel. Nearby is Ayala Mall. As for nightlife, just ask a cabbie.

....I hope this helps. Enjoy your golf holidays.

Papalo

Mentioned in this post
Cebu Country Club
Cebu Country Club
24 Reviews
Cebu Island, Philippines
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,680 posts
2,085 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: golf vacation to Cebu

@papalo I knew you would answer this. We will make you a golf DE ;)

Tommo

Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,960 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: golf vacation to Cebu

If you will not need to be near any particular golf course, near Ayala Mall is as good a location as any. Just catch a taxi where you want to go.

On the same block of land is the Marriott. Opposite Ayala Mall, there are 3 good hotels in a row. They are Quest, Mandarin Plaza and Park lane.

If you want some cheap hotels, Tune and Island Stay are also opposite Ayala Mall.

If you want to discuss night life in Cebu, you can send me a PM.

Portland , Oregon
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: golf vacation to Cebu

PAPALO thankyou for the information on the Cebu golfing. I am an avid golfer....used to be a zero handicap for many years...now am a 4. Anyway the reason I posted my concern about bringing my clubs is that lugging them around seems like it would be difficult. If I don't rent a car will taxis etc. be able to help me. Besides I would be a complete novice having never been to Cebu.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,680 posts
2,085 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: golf vacation to Cebu

You can use a recommended driver on this forum called Danny Noy for any of your driving and tour needs. Several members here on the forum including myself have used his services. His prices are good and he is reliable.

Tommo

Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,960 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: golf vacation to Cebu

If I don't rent a car will taxis etc. be able to help me

-------------------------------------------------

Just get in the next taxi going past your hotel if you are travelling to any where in Metro Cebu. Meaning Mactan island, Mandaue City, Cebu City or Talisay City.

If you are travelling out of Metro Cebu, I agree to contact Danny. Here is his website

cebutaxiservice.com/reliable_cebu_taxi_drive…

Mentioned in this post
Talisay City
Talisay City
Cebu Island, Philippines
Portland , Oregon
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: golf vacation to Cebu

Thankyou Jim and Tommo for the info.....I think getting Danny Noy to help me sounds reasonable.....I plan on being in Cebu for about a month so a hotel may be the expensive way to stay.....what about short term

rentals that are conveniently located?

Portland , Oregon
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: golf vacation to Cebu

Papalo thankyou for the info...I want to come to the Cebu area for about a month in November and want to play golf at least three times a week......I want to scope the area out because I might want to live there someday.......

Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,960 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: golf vacation to Cebu

I was talking to a man last week who said he had a friend staying in one of the residences in the Golden Peak Hotel and was only paying P20,000 per month, all inclusive. If that is true, it will be one of your best options as it is only a few minutes walk to Ayala Mall. Here is the website so you can contact them

http://www.goldenpeakhotel.com/

Here is some short term accommodation where you can stay by the month without a contract.

This place in Banilad, Cebu City is popular with expats.

http://www.apartelledearcenas.com/

No rates on site any more. Last time they were, it was something like P40,000 per month, plus electricity for 2 bedrooms. It is near SM Mall, Cebu City

http://sarrosahotel.com/

Situated in Lapu Lapu City. They too have taken their monthly rates off the website

crownregencyhotels.com/suites/accommodations…

Near SM Mall, Cebu City. P30,000 per month for 2 bedrooms, plus electricity.

http://strawberryresidencescebu.com/

If you want something really really cheap. Sanchez Apartments Downtown is P7500 per month, plus electricity for a 1 bedroom.

Portland , Oregon
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: golf vacation to Cebu

Thankyou Big Jim in Cebu for the info on a place to stay for a month in November.....all I really care about is a decent location and a decent bathroom like a good shower etc. I live in Portland Oregon and work at a private Country Club golf course and want to get the hell away for a while.....that's why I want to come to Cebu.So is the current exchange rate 1 US dollar =40 pesos ?

Mentioned in this post