We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camotes island

Vancouver, Wn.
Level Contributor
427 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Camotes island

Any first hand report on beach for Mangodlong Paridise Resort would be appreciated. I have read all the reviews and this place looks like the one to spend a week at with family. Lots of prise for white sandy beach at the resort but viewing pictures indicate this sand might be imported and lots of rocks and sea growth in the water. Being able to enjoy the water is a must, is there a sandy bottom?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,945 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camotes island

Never been there. The closest I have been is stopping at the pier at Poro multiple times.

However, i want to make a comment on imported sand.

It may be imported sand where you are staying but I have been past the islands hundreds of times in slow boats and fast ferries. There are beautiful white sand beaches all over the islands. So, the chances it is imported is very low in my opinion.

Cebu Island...
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Camotes island

Mangodlong Paradise Resort beach is man made, I stayed next door at Mangodlong Rock Resort a number of years ago and saw them laying down the foundations to Paradise Resort. I'm afraid when I stayed at Paradise last year, I only swam in their pool and not at the beach so I can't give you an opinion, I did take a video from a distance, you can't really see into the water that clearly and it's very short clip - but it may help you. beyondcebu.com/my-blogs/discover-this-gem-th… . Mind you Mangodlong Rock Resort does have a little sea growth in the water. The better beaches on the island are Santiago Bay and Bakhaw Beach.

Vancouver, Wn.
Level Contributor
427 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camotes island

Great video thanks. Going to look at some of the other resorts mentioned.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camotes island

@ Bech lover,

We stayed at Mangodlong Paradise beach resort jsut two months ago during our recent trip to Camotes for 2 nights. This was followed by a 1 night stay in Mangodlong rock beach resort (I wanted to stay on at paradise, but they had no occupancy)

You can find our photos here -

1) The beach is about 50 meters wide, and just enough for a resident. White sand. (No - it is not imported :) , yes, you can swim a bit (the bottom is sandy, but not shallow - the slope downwards is steep).

2) The beach just next to Santiago resort is absolutely fantastic. For starts, it must be more than a kilometer long, very shallow water (during low tide, I could walk about 100 meters seawards and still the water was no more than my knee level). White powdery sand, and the best part is there must not have been more than 5 tourists and 10 local residents here.

3) We had a look into all the 4 resorts at Mangodlong beach - and at Santiago bay resort. Mangodlong Paradise definitely is the best as far as resorts go - very luxurious, and frankly, the facilities were five star. Their pick up too is genuine. As for food, you can choose to eat either here, or at the 3 neighboring resorts (we did that, and found the food there to be better and cheaper) . Santiago bay is not as good as far as the resort rooms etc are concerned. Paradise wins hands down in this respect. They also have kayaks, and a dive shop closeby.

4) My suggestion would be - stay at Paradise, and spend an entire day lounging at Santiago beach. Spend the remaining days exploring the rest of the island. The boardwalk is a surprisingly attractive palce (I did not expect to see such a nice boardwalk in such a small island, but there it was - in fact, this is what we should have had in Manila too)

The only thing that I did not like in Paradise as the slow / poor service in the restaurant and the loud noise. So we just ate using room service (the other days we ate at other resorts, the baywalk, and at a relative's place)

Do let me know if you have any other questions.

Vancouver, Wn.
Level Contributor
427 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camotes island

YouLiveOnlyOnce: Much thanks for that very detailed reply. I'm almost positive that Mangodlong Paridise Resort will be our choice with what I have done with my research and what you just provided. Is the beach just next that you referrenced within a short walk or is it somewhat farther than that? It sounds like a nice place to spend a little time.

I will be in Cebu for a couple of days at the end of April in transit to Boracay and may take a day for a short visit to Camotes Islands, over and back the same day just to help finalize the amount of time to spend there with the family . Again much thanks

Edited: 10:16 am, March 20, 2013
Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camotes island

@ beach lover,

The beach I mentioned in (2) - called Santiago bay beach - is a good 30-40 minutes ride by habal habal (motorcycle taxi) - you can get these just outside the resort. If you are ok driving yourself, you can simply hire them for the day. Do note that roads do not have street lights, so try to keep your driving during the day. It is among the longest and widest beaches I have seen in the Phils - probably as long as white beach in Boracay, but definitely far wider.

Oh yes - you will notice big differences between Cebu, Boracay and Camotes. Each has a different flavour.

A note - try to arrive in Camotes in the morning or afternoon - as sometimes the evening ferry gets cancelled / delayed.

How to reach.....From Cebu, take a bus to Danao port (1 hour), thence a ferry (usually run by Jomalia shipping) to Camotes (2 hours). Be prepared to wait for the ferry - it is one of the big roro ferries. Questions on the ferry schedules have already been answered on this forum earlier.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camotes island

Just to note, I actually enjoyed Santiago bay and garden resort. They have just completed a new infinity pool, so they have 2 now, and have built some beautiful new villas, it is definitely an option worth exploring, and gives you a few more dining options, as there are a few local restaurants on the beach, at very reasonable prices, with fairly good food, and you can swim in the ocean right out from the resort, there is also a beautiful deserted beach just a few minutes walk [at low tide] or swim [high tide] from Santiago Bay, it is stunning, and nobody there, and it will never be developed, as the local cemetery is there.

Timaru, New Zealand
Level Contributor
8 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camotes island

I have just returned from the Camotes Islands with my family and stayed at the Pardise beach resort. The sand is imported and is very nice although a little stoney in parts. It is a pleasure to swim there. The swimming pool is wonderful as is most with this resort. Santiago beach is very safe and amazingly hot. As the beach is very shallow it attracts the heat ( hotter then a hot bath). Santigo Beach resort ok but needs an upgrade. My little island hotel, lovely hotel but very remote. Spent many hours driving around the two main island and loved every minute. The Camotes was a wonderful experience and certainly the best place we have visited so far. The cleanliness was amazing. I saw NO litter anywhere.The mayor has done a good job in instigating heavy fines for anyone dropping garbage and providing garbage trucks to collect same from homes. You can see the bags outside houses ready for collection. Lots of farming going on. And good to see a community taking so much pride in their surroundings.

9. Re: Camotes island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 pm, June 11, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Camotes island

Could you post your review here?

Thanks.