We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute holiday to Cebu

Which Cebu City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Last minute holiday to Cebu

Hey guys and girls!!

I know this is short notice but several friends and I have decided to go on a last minute two week break to Cebu on the 23/9. We have booked flights but not yet booked accommodation, we're not sure if a rented villa/condos or hotel would suit us more so any advice on that would be helpful. I was wondering if renting a car or minibus would be necessary or are taxis and public transport cheap enough and reliable? Any advice or recommendations on food, restaurants, beaches and shopping malls would be most helpful too. Once in Cebu I would love to travel around and see other parts of the Philippines too, what other areas are worth a visit and are flights to Manila cheap? Any advice on anything to do with cebu/Philippines would be great, I know I can research most of this myself but we'll be going so soon and I have so much to sort out in so little time, I'm not being lazy...... I promise!!

Must see's and must do's in Cebu?

Must don'ts? ( manners and cultural differences)

Best restaurants & bars?

Things to avoid?

Just absolutely any info on Cebu and surrounding areas please

Hope everybody has a great day and happy traveling to all you travelers!! Alan :)

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute holiday to Cebu

Hi Alan fr Leeds! (loves Leeds btw)

...Visit Malapascua for thresher sharks sighting if you are divers. Also Moalboal, Pescador island. Bantayan for the beaches.

...In the city, there are several museums around Casa Gorordo, Sugbu Museum etc. Buddhist temple. Jumalon butterfly farm.

...Favorite restos are Canvas at the Ayala Terraces and Anzani at Nivel Hills. Anzani is the nicest resto in Cebu, I find. Views cant be beat. Food is good. Owner/Chef used to work for Shangrila. If you can find Aranoz, order the stuffed duck a day in advance. Really good. It is a Spanish restaurant. Michaelangelos at Maria Luisa Rd. Italian fare.

...Cultural no-no's??? heaps of em. But I might commit one of them so I would just stop here.

...Easy to visit Bohol, Negros fr Cebu.Flight, ferry or bus away.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,698 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute holiday to Cebu

Don't forget to visit Dumaguete which is a few hours ferry ride away.

From there, you can visit Apo Island, siquijor Island, Valencia etc.

Edited: 11:26 am, September 12, 2012
Leeds, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute holiday to Cebu

Thanks for the rapid response peeps!

Everything you say or recommend is being noted down and I'm gonna try do everything and eat everything I possibly can!!

The cultural no no's can't be too much different to my own I hope, being from Hong Kong originally myself and a few of my friends I'm going to Cebu with are from Vietnam and mainland china... Be polite at all times, respect my elders, and basically living by the cultural rules as in my own culture should be ok.... Shouldn't it?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,698 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute holiday to Cebu

Yup, that will do and bring your common sense with you! :)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,673 posts
1,968 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute holiday to Cebu

Travel from Cebu City's port to Dumaguete City and then on to Siquijor Island. Stay on the latter. Then either get a specially arranged bangka (boat) to stunning Apo Island or go back to Dumaguete, travel by taxi or bus to Dauin (c. 40 kilometres) and get a special trip bangka across to Apo Island (the latter cost would be about P3000 return). Apo Island has great snorkelling at itsback beach ('Nemo' clownfish) while at the front white sand beach there's sea turtles.

You can also go to pleasant Bohiol and Panglao Islands: Alona Beach is the place to stay. Visit Balicasag Island and do its marine day tour along with the Bohol land day tour by car.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute holiday to Cebu

Off the coast of Cebu, Malapascua and Bantayan islands are laid back beach destinations worth visiting. If you take a ferry to neighbouring Negros Island where Dumagute is located, it is a great city to spend a day or two, and you can take the ferry from there to Siquijor Island (Coco Grove Resort is lovely) and Apo Island. Diving or snorkeling tours to Apo can be arranged via adventurediveshop.com. If staying in Dumaguete, I highly recommend Coco Grande hotel.

Edited: 3:54 am, September 13, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,147 posts
1,509 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute holiday to Cebu

Ive been to Coco Grande Hotel for breakfast which is the sister hotel of Coco Grove Siquijor. I actually stayed at Hotel Nicanor which is in a better location.

Tommo

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last minute holiday to Cebu

The food was good at Coco Grande (though no room service) but took forever to arrive. There was one other table aside from ours in the restaurant and it took an hour for our meal to come.

Cebu City
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Last minute holiday to Cebu

Why not travel around Cebu Province? The island has the best to offer compared to other island provinces. Cebu was called an Island in the Pacific for that reason. Am not a big fan of motorbike, but you'll surely enjoy riding it traveling around the island. The best itinerary for motorbikers are: Camotes Island (ferry available from Danao City), Bantayan Island (ferry available from Tabuelan), Malapascua Island (by foot) then downward to Moalboal, Badian (Kawasan Falls) and Oslob, even Dalaguete (Mantalongon Area). Public transport is also a good alternative for you, if your group are backpackers. Car rentals come with a price.

While traveling around Cebu, do not hesitate to explore and taste the local foods. And every place can offer you accommodation. Just feel comfortable. Explore, adapt. Cebu is no Singapore. Very democratic. People speak English. Good luck. Enjoy your stay in Cebu. Have fun.

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Last minute holiday to Cebu

@Pura,

...my bad. diff post this time.