We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Terrible Cebu city visit last time - advice needed!

Oslo
Level Contributor
103 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Terrible Cebu city visit last time - advice needed!

Hello!

I have been to Cebu city before, and the start of that trip was miserable. Wiser from the experience, I am going to ask you, the Cebu experts in here for some advise.

I am looking for a decent enough hotel. I dont have extreme demands - I of course like to live clean and safe, as well as I want my things (especially money, cards and passport) to be safe. Non smoking room is a must, pool is nice but not a demand. Dont really care if there is any nightclubs etc nearby, but I like to be safe if I need to go outside at night. I have looked some on three hotels: Cebu R hotel (suite), Castle peak hotel (executive room) and Mango park hotel (suite). Have you guys any experiences from these places, so you can advice me?

Mango park and castle peak has in room security box, mango park has a pool and I think that castle peak is building a "dipping pool" (according to their homepage - no idea of size or when it will be ready). Cebu R seem to be clean and rather new. Pricerange here is 1700p to 2500p per night. If you have better advice, feel free to give it!

Have also heard that Cebu city is supposed to be famoused for really good standup commedy. Any advice on good commedy clubs (dont know Philippino so they must perform in english)?

Finally I was wondering about do and dots when it comes to buying gold and jewelry in cebu. Is it any chains that you can trust? I will ofcourse not buy gold in the street, was thinking more of gold store in Ayala center or something similar.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Terrible Cebu city visit last time - advice needed!

I must confess that I can largely understand where you are coming from with this, however over the last twenty odd years Cebu has greatly improved. In fact the first time I stepped in the Philippines, I hated Manila but enjoyed Cebu, so you can largely understand why I have a strong affinity with Cebu.

To be honest what you are seeking is pretty much standard, I have never stayed in a hotel that is not safe or dirty, given the choice. And I am also a non smoker. You seem to forget is that Cebu is not a big city therefore you don’t need to be located right in the centre of town, to enjoy yourself, as it’s relatively easy to get around.

Your requirements for a hotel are fairly standard for the average tourist, like myself but I would also seek out a gym & sauna, in my case. Since you have already been there and you are still unsure personal recommendations will not mean much, therefore I would suggest that you book two nights at a decent hotel on say Mactan Island and then armed with a list of hotels spend the first two days looking at the hotels that you have short listed, use a taxi to get around to visit them. If I am paying good money you should get what you want. Every hotel will be willing to show you around their available rooms and take it from there. If you are staying for some time I would suggest that you consider staying in one of the many Residence hotel.

On safety providing you are not doing anything silly, like getting so drunk you can’t walk and pass out on the streets, you will be safe moving about, much safer than being in Manila. What you don’t mention is how long you are staying in Cebu and when you are planning to be there.

Gold – since you are coming from Norway, l doubt there are direct flights to Manila, that I am aware, if you are travelling via the Middle East stopping in somewhere like Dubai, I would suggest you purchase all your gold there, but make sure you have enough time between flights to do your shopping.

http://www.dubai-airport.info/duty-free.html

Good Luck and enjoy!

Vancouver, Wn.
Level Contributor
427 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Terrible Cebu city visit last time - advice needed!

Highly recommend Parklane Hotel. Safe in room, outdoor swimming pool on fourth floor roof, very good buffet breakfast, 5 minute walk to Ayala shopping center. Room a little more expensive then you have listed but I usually book through Asiatravel where the price is a lot cheaper than booking directly with the hotel. I have always felt safe staying there.

Edited: 2:40 pm, January 24, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,357 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Terrible Cebu city visit last time - advice needed!

Try Apple Suites, its just of Oxmena circle. Whey would you buy gold in the Philippines, its not the place for that.

Newcastle N S W
Level Contributor
920 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Terrible Cebu city visit last time - advice needed!

where is Oxmena circle????

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Terrible Cebu city visit last time - advice needed!

Near to the old Mango Avenue. Not downtown area.

Newcastle N S W
Level Contributor
920 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Terrible Cebu city visit last time - advice needed!

I have never heard of Oxmena Circle however I have heard of Fuente Osmena

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,908 posts
1,995 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Terrible Cebu city visit last time - advice needed!

www.asiatravel.com has some good sugegstions.

If not outside your budget, try the 12 month or so old Radisson Blu. It is next to SM City, and about 10 minutes by taxi from the best shopping centre in Cebu, Ayala Center.

gang2x
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Terrible Cebu city visit last time - advice needed!

I am currently staying at a condo in mactan island for 775 dols for a month. It's a very nice place considering that they have a nice beach and a very nice pool.

Fuente Osmena is the same as Osmena Circle.

Newcastle N S W
Level Contributor
920 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Terrible Cebu city visit last time - advice needed!

he didn`t say Osmena he said Oxmena

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,357 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Terrible Cebu city visit last time - advice needed!

its a typo...sorry..Osmena Circle...nice location...near Robisons, bars, restos, plenty of hotels, etc. etc.