We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drivers licence

Canberra
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Drivers licence

As a Austrailian tourist I would like to drive a car or ride motorbike in the Philippines while I am their can anyone tell me if I need a special licence?

Regards Dave.

Newcastle N S W
Level Contributor
920 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drivers licence

Hi Dave

Your Aussie drivers licence is valid for 90 days from arrival & as far as I know that`s all you need.

Jamie

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Drivers licence

Hi Dave.

From a fellow non-Philippines resident I suggest you don't drive when you get to the Philippines. The rules are a little different there and the traffic is so congested it's very confusing. Save yourself a lot of headache and hire yourself a driver. They're very cheap. My guess is if you're going to drive you'll have to rent a car anyway and plus pay for gas. Hiring a personal driver is just as cheap if not cheaper. Safe travels to you.

Canberra
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drivers licence

Thankyou for your reply, yhat may be the way to go, I watched some videos (Holly Crap)!!!Can I ask what i could expect to pay for a driver and taxi, is it hourly or by the mile, would you or anyone know? If anyone knows approx in Peso?

Regards

Dave

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Drivers licence

From my recollection the taxi's I rode in weren't metered. They'll give you a price before you jump in the cab but always bargain with them. As for a personal driver if I remember correctly it all depends on where you go and how far they have to drive. I think the most I paid in one day was 2600 pesos.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,226 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drivers licence

I can confirm that you can use your Australian licence for 3 months from arrival.

However, you won't want to drive yourself.

If you have an accident, you will deemed at fault, even if your not, just because you have money to pay.

Insurance won't help either. If you make a claim, it is not like ringing the NRMA in Australia. The insurance companies in the Philippines will generally tell you to sue them.

For taxis in Cebu City, just pay per trip. Make sure the taxis use the meter. It is never cheaper to make a deal with a driver. If the driver won't use the meter, just get out and get in the next taxi. It only costs about P100 to travel from one side of Cebu City to the other. Centre of Cebu City to the airport on Mactan Island is about P150, depending on traffic.

If you want to go on a special trip, for example a day trip to Kawasan falls, then I suggest you negotiate a ride with a taxi.

My former driver, Danny Noy, can provide whatever transport you need. If you would like to contact him for a quote, his website is here: cebutaxiservice.com/reliable_cebu_taxi_drive…

Regards: Jim Sibbick

Canberra
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Drivers licence

Thanks for that info jim, I will contact your recommendation before I go..Thanks again Regards Dave.

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drivers licence

hi dave

just got back from cebu and manila. i agree with big jim driving in either city would not be for the faint hearted. while we where in cebu another family of a party we where attending witnessed a girl get killed she fell of the back of a bike and the traffic is so bad a bus drove over her as it couldn't avoid her. big jim is right hire a car plus driver. we hired a 12 seater with driver from our resort (which i can recomend if your interested) in danao city for 3000ph for the day which worked out good money for 10 people. however it was a different matter in manila. one driver said he charged 3000ph but then at end of day trip to subic bay we had to pay for fuel and toll's and a out of town fine it ended cosying 10'000 so watch out.

email me if you want any more info

dale

Canberra
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Drivers licence

Thanks for the info, as I get closer to going I may have some questions if thats OK, I wanted to book into the Mariott at Cebu but my travel agent which I would prefer to book through, could not go through the Mariott for some reason, so I booked for 3 days at the Grand for better or worse!!! I will spend the rest of my Time at Toledo city, but will take tip from you regarding accommodation at Cebu. Because I will have to book for 1 night just prior to leaving....So a tip on a good stay would be welcomed...Thanks..Dave

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,226 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drivers licence

For me, one night in luxury is the Waterfront Hotel, Lahug.

Ny the way, it is not actually by the water.

Regards: Jim

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drivers licence

hi dave offcourse you can ask for any info. i remembered you asked about money. we desided to convert 100 uk sterling as a start off spending money which lasted us a few days as food and drink is cheap (can of san miguel beer 26ph each in supermarket) we then took out 10000php from a atm this lasted around a week. use only the atm's in the big shopping mall's or a good bank like hsbc. smaller bank branches shut at 3pm (or are supposed to having reached the door for 2.45 to find it closed) main branches open till 5pm. hope this helps