We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Davao safe for a western family with children to live?

Which Davao City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Is Davao safe for a western family with children to live?

Hi,

We are an Australian family with 2 young children and are considering a job offer in Davao City.

Can anyone advise on how safe it is for western women and children to live in Davao. Also advice on schools for expats would also be appreciated.

brisbane australia
2 posts
Save Reply
41. Re: Is Davao safe for a western family with children to live?

I was in Davao Last August and its very safe compared to Manila,i dont like manila,every one just wants to scam you.I got married in Kidapawan which is 3 hours by bus south of Davao..I would not go any further than kidapawan.even locals dont like to travel further than that,.But i think Davao is safer than a lot of cities in the western world.

The netherlands
Level Contributor
10 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Is Davao safe for a western family with children to live?

Mindanao BOB is an american who lives in Davao and has a webside + forum .

He knows almost everything about Davao

Gosee his side .

Anton

The netherlands
Level Contributor
10 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Is Davao safe for a western family with children to live?

The American Bob lives with his family in Davao.

He has a forum and webside : Mindanao bob .

Go there and soon you know everything

Anton [ Netherlands ]

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
44. Re: Is Davao safe for a western family with children to live?

anton -do u mean website?

45. Re: Is Davao safe for a western family with children to live?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 am, January 21, 2013
Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
143 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Is Davao safe for a western family with children to live?

Bob Martin of Davao has about a dozen websites. The best ones for info are Mindanao.com, liveinthephilippines.com . You will find contact information for him there. He also is on facebook as Bob Martin. I am sure he would be more than willing to give you first hand information.

At the moment, Jan 20 2013 from a lot of recent rain there is flooding in certain parts or nearby vicinity of Davao. It is NOT a tsunami or typhoon and only certain areas are affected. I don't know which areas they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvnZfMRAWa8

47. Re: Is Davao safe for a western family with children to live?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

48. Re: Is Davao safe for a western family with children to live?

Iloilo City...
Level Contributor
76 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Is Davao safe for a western family with children to live?

We were in Davao for the 2012 holidays. The kids had a blast, and literally had to be forced on the plane home.

@BobNewYork: I think the areas affected are in Matina. There's a creek there that's been breaching its banks pretty often lately. This is a fairly recent occurrence though, and I don't know why something like this that never happened before regularly happens now.

Davao City
1 post
Save Reply
50. Re: Is Davao safe for a western family with children to live?

If you are white from any country you are not safe in Davao city, while it's not as dangerous as other areas like Cagayan de Oro you are still a moving target. Expect special American / UK discounts when buying anything in the Philippines which means you will get charged double even at the malls like SM / Robinsons the sales clerks will only show you the most expensive items. Anything and everything you will pay for here will cost you more if your white skin. Many Filiinpino men are especially sensitive so if you ask someone to stop peeing on your house, lawn or car it will start a war and be warned you can expect that someone will kill you or take your family hostage. Davao is a nice booming area with business but be warned it's not like the U.S. or UK. Worst mistake I ever in my life was relocating my family to the Philippines and my wife is a Filipino. Your kids will have to go to private schools and can never let them out of your sight and its not even advisable to trust your hired security / driver to protect your kids as they may be part of the group that takes them hostage. In summary, great place to visit, don't move here and expect that you and your family will be safe. Maybe in another 20 years it might be a place to live but between the NPA / MILF / Muslims your a golden ticket as a hostage.