We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Rio Bachelors Pad Warning

Which Davao City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cromwell
4 posts
Save Topic
El Rio Bachelors Pad Warning

El Rio Bachelors Pad, Davao City, PH

Don’t stay here if you can avoid it. They require one month rent additional deposit. That is fair. They have a policy that states that any damage to appliances will be deducted from the deposit. That sounds fare. Most English speaking people understand what damage done to something means. Not the owner or the employees of El Rio Bachelors Pad. What they interpret that to mean is that if the appliance fails through no fault of the customer, that customer is still responsible for replacing the malfunctioning appliance. I was lucky as it was only a single stove burner (old and very used one) that malfunctioned, but occupants should be wary as other appliances in the room are a frost free refrigerator, TV, Air Conditioner and an electrical kettle. My neighbor was charged for the electric kettle when it failed to operate anymore. The first floor at the very least has very poor drainage, the toilet often does not completely flush even when only liquid is in it. Flushing the toilet required using a pail full of water more often than not to get it to flush properly. You can’t complain about this as they blame it on you and want to collect 100 pesos to unclog it, which isn’t the problem. When I first started staying there the internet connection which you pay an additional charge for was not working. At first the complaint was ignored, and then they tried to blame it on my computer even though we had two laptops in the room and tested both. Others staying there quickly started to complain, the internet connection was still down for five days before they fixed their malfunctioning router. When my girl friend complained to the front desk that the sink was leaking they wanted 100 pesos to “unclog it” instead of fixing the sink, she ended up mopping up the water every day after doing dishes.

When I complained to the owner after five days that we had been waiting for the electric stove burner to be fixed he said that they would replace it but we would be charged for it because it was damaged. I protested that it was not damaged, it was old and worn out, that it was junk. He kept insisting that the policy was that renters are responsible for all damages and that if something didn’t work it should be reported upon moving in. He told me if I moved out immediately we would not be charged for the burner. It was only eight days into the months rent and it was much more expensive than the burner but I moved within hours of finding out just how dishonest the owner of El Rio Bachelors Pad is.

One additional note, one day while staying there the workers of the place were working on the drainage pipes and caused the sewerage to back up into my room a little and the room next to mine a lot, pouring out of the toilet and all over the floor. The place reeked of sewerage. Once cleaned up the neighbor complained that the toilet was clogged due to the backup. Even then they tried to extort 100 pesos to unclog it. They didn’t get the money, but I hope you get the idea!

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,206 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: El Rio Bachelors Pad Warning

shannon, 2 posts about the same place, come on, do you think we believe that you are not connected. The place leaves much to be desired and by your post the owners much be desperate to continue the fraud of what pay for you do NOT get.

las vegas
Level Contributor
598 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: El Rio Bachelors Pad Warning

Do your math correctly,800x30=24,000.Myhotel do have budget rooms @P250/night,that's P7500 for 30 days stay.....

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,420 posts
1,560 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: El Rio Bachelors Pad Warning

Shannon you have already had posts removed previously for seeming to be connected to this establishment. Im guessing your latest post may experience the same fate as the others.

Tommo

54. Re: El Rio Bachelors Pad Warning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:42 am, March 05, 2013
55. Re: El Rio Bachelors Pad Warning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:42 am, March 05, 2013
boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: El Rio Bachelors Pad Warning

But Shannon, you ADMIT that you are connected with the place, that they are your friends. So we aren't wrong and you are clearly not being objective. A place 'intended for Filipino families' - what does that mean exactly? Foreigners are not wanted or catered to? Calling it a 'batchelor pad' hardly makes it sound family friendly. The name implies that it is a place for young, single males. No one expects 5 star service for that price but a degree of politeness and decency is reasonable to expect. Unclogging the malfunctioning sink or toilet is not a service one should have to pay for. And 'damage' to appliances means that YOU damaged or broke them. Not that they just failed to work.