We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

customs

Which Davao City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Matteson IL
2 posts
Save Topic
customs

I am visiting a freind in March in Davao. i am interseted in finding out the customs so I will not offend her family and her

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: customs

I, too, am planning a trip to Davao, but probably later this summer. I am not sure where to stay, so I am here. Then there's the problem of gifts to bring. I will look forward to any and all suggestions, too.

yyy,kl
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: customs

Just be yourself. Americans are like gods over there. You will be looked at by everyone!! Philipinos are very forgiving people. They understand that Americans have different customs.

manila
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: customs

anybody here know how to get to pearl farm coming from the airport?

davao city
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: customs

suave, just ask the airport police to tell the taxi driver to bring you on the boat going to samal. u can start in insular hotel or the samal boat before old airport frm downtown. you can call me 09172067158 if you get lost. but i doubt u wont. we are friendly here. just choose the ryt guy. hehehhe. or u can simply ask airport personel how to go to samal. i think they have a airport transport from airport to the boat going to samal. tccic

uk
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: customs

I am British and have been married to a girl from Davao for 18 years.

The people are friendly but watch your security.Stay in the City either at Apo View or Royal Mandaya on no account stay at Samal Island Beach resort or even think about getting there on your own.Get the hotel to pick you up officially.The best way to visit Samal is hire a driver and car from the hotel and visit one of the many beach resorts during the day.

Get your friends or relatives to book your hotel it will be lots cheaper.

As for gifts, give money and make sure your friend hands it over in front of you.On no account be sweet talked into offering more only carry a few pesos with you but in all the shopping malls you can pay by card.

REY
IL
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: customs

Customs........, showing respect to her family is greatly appreciated. Befriending the parents of your friend is a big plus(spend more time to talk to her family especially her parents) . Show them that you can be trusted with their duaghter. Once you get the respect of her parents then your stay there will be heaven. Never leave their house without thanking her family and saying goodbye properly. If you are going out for some fun with your friend be sure to drop her off to their house at the time expected her to be home. Hugging is not a custom there, shaking hands is. NEVER EVER GET DRUNK IN THEIR HOUSE! GOOD LUCK

davao
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: customs

Just be yourself. don't bother bringing gifts. don't spoil them or the girl with material things. be respectful especially to the elderly ones. There are lots of foreigners here who come and visit so we are already used to see white people here especially in the city.

Kissing a person or hugging as a greeting is definitely no-no here. Just simply hi or hello is enough or shake hands.

San Diego
Level Contributor
65 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: customs

Davao City should be okay as they've got a "Clint Eastwood" kind of Mayor who dispenses swift justice to make sure people dont mess around in his town. Outside of the city is a different story and its best you register your presence with the embassy in Manila.

Stayed at the Insular last time but heard that its been sold so wouldn't know how it is. Friends tell me that the Marco Polo hotel should be a good place to stay in the city center.

Get used to people calling you "HEY JOE" as that is what they call ALL caucasians! Its a beautiful city with beautiful people !

Just be yourself (not too loud) as Filipinos are softspoken and never say no (up to a fault) to a visitor. Make sure you don't abuse this. I'm sure your girlfriend and her family will look after you.

Good Luck dude!