We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A victim of CLUB ASTORIA, Philippines

Cebu Island...
4 posts
Save Topic
A victim of CLUB ASTORIA, Philippines

Club Astoria, is one of the company that offers holiday membership. I and my husband were invited for a free dinner and were to claim a free stay good for two in las vegas/thailand/puerto princess and the like. before we receive the said accomodation,we were to attend a two hour presentation about club astoria.

the presentation was good, i feel for the trap. I was to pay 20,000 pesos for the reservation but was charged up to 36,000 pesos instead. 9 hours to 2 days after november 11, 2011, my husband informed the manager that we decided not to continue anymore. The manager told us that we should think about it. After a weeks time we did informed and was told that our account was currently freeze, no other charges will be collected and a refund will be given since it was still within the 15 days cooling period.

Until today (January 7, 2012), no refund was given. Our other request such as: notarized copy of the agreement, membership ID was not given/mailed. This were some of the reasons that I and my husbad finally decided to stop the said membership. I tried to contact their customer service but was told that no refund will be given for such cancellation when infact we already communicated to them. May this be a lesson for all of you. Please be careful. Learn from this mistake. If someone offers you this please do think a billion times before deciding. If you have internet connection at home please do read more about the company. My experience is bad and i don't know for the others who are/were invited. I felt that I am a victim :(

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,357 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A victim of CLUB ASTORIA, Philippines

sorry this happened to you...do you have their website or email addresses please..post them here and send them a link of the publicity you are giving them...

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,225 posts
1,652 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A victim of CLUB ASTORIA, Philippines

There is already one lengthy thread on this company.

If you use the search facility you will find it.

Tommo

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,184 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A victim of CLUB ASTORIA, Philippines

If you just Google "Club Astoria" you will read so many articles claiming that it is a scam. So my advice to anyone investing in anything is to invest time in research. You will save thousands of pesos if you research about a company you plan to invest with.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,225 posts
1,652 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A victim of CLUB ASTORIA, Philippines

Well said Keg.

Tommo

Subic, Philippines
Level Contributor
3 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A victim of CLUB ASTORIA, Philippines

hi everyone,

My boyfriend received a call on Feb 29 that he had won a buffet dinner and 3D 2N stay in hotels within the country or in Asia or even Florida. We were so excited about it. So we went to the dinner, right after eating we were sent to the very noisy room full of people laughing and chattering. It was a very nauseating conference area! Apparently that was how they conduct their marketing/sales activities, like you're in the 'palengke'.

To make the long story short they wanted to sell to us the premier membership to the Club worth 480,000 plus, we said no we can't afford it, they haggled and haggled until it was like 3 hours already they wouldn't let us leave. We ended up paying 11th for a set of GC's and a membership valid for a year. I should've read about it here, had I known about it sooner we wouldn't have been drawn up to that scam. I just hope we could still use the free stay and other GC's without hassle or else 11th just flew away.

I feel sorry for the others who were dragged into the Club, myself included. good thing we didn't pay the higher offers or we're stuck with nothing. In all of that I resent the marketing strategy they are using. We gas-ed up at Total and happily signed the coupon to only end up throwing away money just like that.

Researching is really important, if only we had been more careful...

Edited: 11:55 pm, March 03, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,357 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A victim of CLUB ASTORIA, Philippines

thanks Olivia

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A victim of CLUB ASTORIA, Philippines

Info saved. Tnx mate

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A victim of CLUB ASTORIA, Philippines

Con artistry is alive & well because a sucker is born every minute.

Subic, Philippines
Level Contributor
3 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A victim of CLUB ASTORIA, Philippines

Hi all,

Astoria continued...We tried use one of the vouchers we bought together with our 11th pesos worth of 1year membership. Last week I called them up to book for the Astoria Plaza in Ortigas. I got my confirmation during the same phone call. Pretty fast. We checked in, no hassles at all. The suite was well worth it.

When we were checking out I reserved for our next freebie voucher, they said I will receive a call/email within 3 days. And I did get the email within the 3 days with a confirmation for the booking date, only problem is we were promised the accommodation at Astoria Bohol but they gave us a different hotel. A whole lot less than what I expected, I sent an email about it, I wonder what happens next.

For all the hoax and bad thoughts about the Astoria Club, the response time is good and the suite at Ortigas is really great. I'd say it's not so bad after all, I just hope that they would really give us what they promised during that 3 hour sales holdup.

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A victim of CLUB ASTORIA, Philippines

We actually bought our membership way back in 2008 and so far it has been satisfying. We were able to book and use all the freebies with ease and was able to transact with RCI for a trip to Florida with the in-laws. Some things to remember when invited to their free buffet dinner:

1. Do your research. Prices are posted online in some forums. If you cant afford it, dont attend as its a looong presentation and you may end up restless and irritated. Dont get pushed into buying something you cant afford. Its ok to say no. We were offered a similar product in 2004. We wanted to purchase but couldnt afford it so we said no. When we were offered in 2008, we were ready to make the investment so we did and we're happy. Dont fall for the "this is good for one day" hard sell line. You can always go back to talk to them when your ready to invest and im pretty sure they'll give you the same discounts.

2. Know what your paying and how often. Apart from the cash out, this product offers a yearly maintenance locally and asks for a fee for international membership. It also asks you to make a deposit for every vacation you book so know what your getting yourself into. When you sign up, your committed to it so be careful.

3. Product is great if your a frequent traveller and if you wish to travel as much as you can. But take into account your budget for airfare and spending money. Having this product may save you a bit on accomodations but you may end up spending more because you would feel obliged to use this to get the most out of it. Let's face it, not everyone can get off on a long vacation every year.

Hope this helps.