We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of moving to the Auburn Area.

Thinking of moving to the Auburn Area.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:07 pm, July 03, 2013
Maine
Level Contributor
404 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of moving to the Auburn Area.

There is a small mall in Auburn that is reasonable, with a Sears and JC Penny and about 25 other stores, called the Fingerlakes Mall. There's a huge outlet store mall complex about 20 minutes east, and there is a Wegmans grocery store in Auburn. That is one of the highest ranked national grocery chains.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
7,468 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of moving to the Auburn Area.

Auburn is just north of a beautiful Finger Lake (Owasco) - there is a public beach and playground in the park that fronts it (Emerson Park). Hoopes Park is a pleasant park on the east end of town. Auburn has become invested in the theatre in recent years and has a well-regarded summer theatre (also located at Emerson Park) as well as a theatre downtown with another being built downtown as well. Auburn has the typical big box stores at two malls just west of the city and along Route 5/Grant Ave east of downtown. There are also some nice mom and pop stores downtown and good restaurants both downtown and in various locales around the city. Herman Avenue and Seward Elementary are in the more affulent parts of town and Owasco Elementary is also in a desirable location between the city and the lake. Casey Park and Genesee Street schools are in the less affluent areas; I can't speak to which is best as I have no children that attend them and have not lived in the area for several years (I grew up there and still have family there so I come to town from time to time). Wegmans is a highly regarded supermarket there although Auburn's is one of the smaller ones. Syracuse (25 miles) has a wonderful zoo and Ithaca (37 miles) has a couple of neat child oriented places (the Sciencenter and Cayuga Nature Center). Filmore Glen State Park is a great place for kids (good swimming, hiking and nature); it is 15 miles south in Moravia. Overall, Auburn is a friendly place and I have fond memories of a pleasant childhood there.

Hope this helps!

Plattsburgh, New...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of moving to the Auburn Area.

Thank you very much for the info. I can't wait to look at some homes in the area.

Get answers to your questions about Auburn
More Auburn Topics