We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any tourists want a Train Guide to Manila?

Manila
Level Contributor
29 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Any tourists want a Train Guide to Manila?

Hi all, I have been working with a team to create an easily downloadable guide to to getting around Metro Manila using our 4 rail systems (MRT/LRT/PNR).

It's still in the "beta" stages and I would like some feedback from tourists who will be visiting Metro Manila and would like to use the trains to get around.

As stated earlier there are only 4 lines so it hardly gets you around the entire metropolis. It can also be very crowded. However when used properly it can get you to the key tourist and shopping spots in Metro Manila much faster than hiring a cab, and you don't have to worry about the "foreigners tax" for taxis. My wife and I travel a lot and take the metro in the cities where its available, and I'm keenly aware of the lack of information out there on how to use our own train systems.

In any case if there are any tourists out there that will be going to Manila within the next couple of weeks and are interested in testing out our guide and giving us feedback, please drop me a line!

Smokey Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Yolo Travel Philippines
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
ePhilippines Adventure Travel and Destinations
Multi-day Tours, Eco Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any tourists want a Train Guide to Manila?

I am interested to try it, but I never pay a foreigner tax on a taxi..

Manila
Level Contributor
29 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any tourists want a Train Guide to Manila?

Well you're one of the lucky ones. Even locals get hassled by taxis sometimes!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,141 posts
2,137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any tourists want a Train Guide to Manila?

This is a great idea.

Please explain the fare systems, how and where to transfer between EDSA and Taft stations via Metropoint shopping centre, the frequency and hours of operation as well as trransfer points such as Blumentritt between PNR and the elevated electrified rail lines.

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any tourists want a Train Guide to Manila?

The PNR is hardly a frequent service and is useless to tourists.

As for the foreigners tax on taxi, that is also rubbish.

2 bad pieces of information in such a short article makes me suspicious.

It needed a team to produce a 4 line network?

Maybe he is collecting email addresses for spamming purposes or phishing.

Beware of Greeks bearing gifts.

Manila
Level Contributor
29 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any tourists want a Train Guide to Manila?

Thanks Victorianlad. I do hope it will help. Do you frequently use the trains? You could give it a test too and see if you can think of ways to improve it.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any tourists want a Train Guide to Manila?

I think the "foreigner tax" mentioned is the extra tips or money requested by the driver from a foreigner or tourist.

Manila
Level Contributor
29 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any tourists want a Train Guide to Manila?

Woo, lots of hostility here!

>>The PNR is hardly a frequent service and is useless to tourists.

Mostly correct, but given some information it can be pretty useful, especially for anyone who wants to visit Tutuban.

>>As for the foreigners tax on taxi, that is also rubbish.

As I mentioned my wife and I travel a lot. We've gotten overcharged before as foreigners, and I know enough expats to know that it happens here sometimes. I'm not slighting Manila taxi drivers in particular, but you'd be lying if you said that this never happens.

>>2 bad pieces of information in such a short article makes me suspicious.

It's not an article, I'm asking for feedback on a guide I worked on. Also if you were really suspicious why didn't you check out my profile, with my 50+ reviews and numerous "helpful" votes. I participate a lot on Tripadvisor, just not on the forums.

>>It needed a team to produce a 4 line network?

If you must know my team are 3 volunteers including myself looking to build a trip planner website focusing specifically on Manila's train lines. But while that is being built we're looking to release a printable brochure that tourists can take with them to guide them around the Metro, free of charge. If anyone out there know how to make money out of these do hit me up. Till then, we're doing this out of a sincere effort o help people get around the metro.

>>Maybe he is collecting email addresses for spamming purposes or phishing.

You know the irony is that I just received a call from a telemarketer? I hate phishing and spamming as much as anyone.

>>Beware of Greeks bearing gifts.

I understand the saying, but I'm not Greek, so you have nothing to worry about.

The reason I'm asking for tourists coming into the city specifically is because I would like feedback from people who have never used the lines. It's the only way we'll know whether or not the guide is useful. I can give you a copy if you like, so that you can provide some (constructive) criticism instead of casting aspersions on my character without doing due diligence.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any tourists want a Train Guide to Manila?

my hubby is a big Norwegian guy that sticks out in a crowd. He does not pay taxi tax and even though there are times some drivers do not want to run the meter etc, its not often enough to address it as a concern for using your system or map. And for info. the MRT LRT is very limited, its easier for a tourist often times to jump a taxi especially if they have been shopping (your stated purpose) as you can NOT take big bags on the system and if crowded, you may get pickpocketed.

Manila
Level Contributor
29 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any tourists want a Train Guide to Manila?

Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps I should have just steered away from the "foreigner's tax" because it's creating a lot of undue attention.

While I appreciate your opinion on whether or not a person would choose to take the trains in Manila, that's really beside the point. I have already expended the time and effort to create this guide because I believe there are people like me who would find it useful. If I am wrong, well then it was my own time that was wasted trying to help others.

Once again if there are any visitors who are interested in getting around the Metro by Train, please do get in touch with me, as your feedback would be most appreciated.

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any tourists want a Train Guide to Manila?

With the chronic overcrowding of trains currently occurring, they are off little use to tourists.

More trains have been ordered for MRT3 but there is still the restriction on carrying large parcels and so as I see it, the LRT/MRT network will only ever be for individual or a couple only for occasional off peak tourists trips.

I usually travel alone and have the benefit of being able to travel in the ladies section due to advanced years.

One time, a train pulled in as I reached the platform at Boni Station and again when I reached the platform at EDSA.

I was in Pedro Gil St after less than 30mins.

That's far faster and cheaper than any taxi with total fare of P12 from Boni to Taft and P15 from EDSA to Pedro Gil..

And as has been already mentioned, you have to be permanently on guard for pickpockets and bag snatchers.