We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's up with TAXIs in Metro Manila

Toronto
Level Contributor
24 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
What's up with TAXIs in Metro Manila

While I was in Manila, I found it hard to even hire a taxi.

Its the only place where driver's would ask you where you want to go, and then refuse.

This happened enough (went 0 for 4, for the times I needed the taxi), that I no longer considered taxi a viable form of transporation around QC/Manila.

Has this happened to you?

Is there something I'm missing? Do the taxi driver's not want to earn any money?

Edited: 3:20 pm, May 11, 2012
California
Level Contributor
79 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's up with TAXIs in Metro Manila

Your situation is unusual. I;ve never had that experience other than an cab driver failing to see me or enroute to home or other fare. Taxi drivers work up to 16 hours a day and every minute they have a passenger is money in their pocket.

In peak commute times they are trying to find the easiest fare to get to. If your in a spot thats difficult to get into or out of they will skip you.

On slack commute times I've had taxi drivers race around the block to get to me.

Generally cabs are parked at most attractions, malls, hotels, restaurants or on roadside parking spots. Locate where cabs are dropping passengers as this is the best time to hop a cab. Generally if they have their roof light on or the meter flag up they should be available.

Quick tip: Check A/C works, meter is sealed,working and pulled down at the start of your trip. Check no other passengers.

Don;t let them stop to pick up friends or family. Check that you have all of your belongings at end of trip.

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's up with TAXIs in Metro Manila

I have never experienced that in more than 25 years!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,065 posts
2,067 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's up with TAXIs in Metro Manila

On a minority of occasions I have had cab drivers refuse to carry me after I objected to their 'fixed rate' fare such as 300 pesos from Manila Bay to NAIA (airport), but that is different to te OP's experience.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's up with TAXIs in Metro Manila

This is such a common problem in Metro Manila and is one of the reasons why I rarely use the taxi. I once stood at the taxi stand of Gatewall Mall in Cubao and I saw 1 taxi refuse at least 4 different customers.

It may sound weird but yes taxi drivers refuse passengers due to different reasons which include horrible traffic in the destination area or en-route to the destination and the destination being out of the way or very little chance of getting a passenger after dropping you off.

Sometimes drivers want a "tip" specially if taxi is scarce in that particular area or if it's raining very hard. Chinatown is a good example, almost all the taxis here either want a fixed rate or a tip to let you ride.

The government even made a special campaign against taxi drivers who refuse passengers but apparently it wasn't effective. If I had a choice, I would revoke the license of these abusive drivers outright. It's extremely annoying specially when you are in a rush.

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's up with TAXIs in Metro Manila

"Quick tip: Check A/C works, meter is sealed,working and pulled down at the start of your trip."

So, like, "Just wait a while, driver, I want to feel how cool is your aircon" and "Wait while a take a close look at the seal on your meter"

Wow! Where did he go?!

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,455 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's up with TAXIs in Metro Manila

happens often for various reasons, some drivers know Makati well as an example, and prefer to stay in that area. Some dont want to get snarled in traffic across the city. In one case, a driver wanted to eat lunch so only wanted nearby. Short fares are more lucrative to drivers in some cases. This is all separate of those who refuse to turn on meter or those who wait outside hotels and are waiting for a Sucker Born Every Minute fare.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's up with TAXIs in Metro Manila

Haha, too funny Vetus!

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,061 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's up with TAXIs in Metro Manila

Where exactly do you want him to go?

Toronto
Level Contributor
24 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's up with TAXIs in Metro Manila

I was headed back to my tito's place near green hills... you know one of those gated communities (another annoying thing I guess for taxi's)...

I just think this is very bad in terms of attracting tourist, one thing I warn people about (only the metro area)...

May I also add, that this isn't just one taxi, but a line of taxi's... and is not a small sample (4 occasion, average 4 taxi each line... 16 taxi driver rejections)

Edited: 9:10 pm, May 12, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,455 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's up with TAXIs in Metro Manila

Its there prerogative if they think its dangerous or for whatever reasons, but I think there is a process to report drivers, a useless process. This happens everywhere, drives will not want to go to certain places.